Three solutions in one Jira project

David Kon July 23, 2020

Our organisation uses Jira Enterprise and I was assigned a project, managed by the Corp.

Our team develops three different solutions, name them:

• Solution A
  • Solution B
  • Solution C

I created three different Boards each one for one solution.

In the query for each board, I set a query looking for a component with the solution's name, for example:

project = MyProject and component = "Solution A"

This way, whenever one of the developers opens a new issue and sets the component as his solution, the issue appears in the right board.

My problem is, whenever I open a new issue and the "Component" field is not present, then the issue won't appear in the right board, and you have to find the issue and set the component.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2020

Hi @David Kon 

You can add the Component field to the create issue screen, and even make it a required field to make sure new issues will appear in the right board.

Modifying the screens where fields are visible needs to be done by the Jira Admin, so in case that's no you, you'll need to make a request.

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2020

+100

Even better, you can set up a JQL that returns the issues with the "Components" field left blank, and include it in a gadget, email it periodically, etc. so to be sure that nothing remains under the radar.

David Kon July 23, 2020

@Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_ In the create issue screen, I do have a Component field.

The issue is in the backlog screen, when you quick add an issue in the bottom of an upcoming sprint.

When I do that, the issue is created but it doesn't have a component it goes to the general backlog and I have to open it separately and add the component for it to appear in the board.

@Aron Gombas _Midori_ as adding a component to sort the issues to the different boards works 95% for me, I would like to know if there is a better way to sort the issues, like by Epic/Solution or anything else.

Thanks! 

Suggest an answer