This might be a very dumb question....but any thoughtful answer is appreciated

rajkumar balraj November 24, 2016

I am not web architect. I am trying to get my management to move to JIRA & Atlassian tools. My battle is between in-house development to Atlassian tools. What is the real power of JIRA and Atlassian Tools? 

• Atlassian's ability to abstract the database and manage the load balance performance etc ?
  • Extensibility of creating any workflow
  • Ability to customize the UI ?
  • Marketplace? 

I am trying to explain my management why Atlassian tools will be better than in house developed tools. What kind of expertise Atlassian technical team is bringing to table ? what kind of challenges they are solving for us that will be tough for internal devs to solve who is kind of developing similar but not exact application. 

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2016

If in doubt, you can download the source code for JIRA (if you have a commercial licence).  Uncompressed, the source is very very large.  An absolutely vast amount of effort has gone into writing it.

Trying to replicate something to do even parts of what JIRA is capable of is going to cost you a lot more than a JIRA licence.  Start by adding a few zeroes to the end of the bill

0 votes
rajkumar balraj November 24, 2016

They are not developing JIRA. They are developing some parts of JIRA. JIRA does not completely fit the bill. 

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2016

Even for some core part it will take you months smile.

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2016

All that you mentioned is true and if you need to persuade the management there is one silver-bullet argument: "Cost".

You will spend much more trying to develop something close to JIRA.

Suggest an answer