There should be default template for creating "Test" project for capturing test cases.

Sanjeev Gautam February 3, 2016

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2016

In what context?  JIRA does not really do test cases natively as it's an issue tracker, not a test case tool, and people implement them in very different ways.  A lot of us use add-ons, and we don't necessarily use a project for test cases.  You'll need to go into a bit more detail to explain this, and ideally, raise it as a fully formed request over in https://jira.atlassian.com/JRA if you expect Atlassian to do it.  Or raise it with an add-on vendor.

Sanjeev Gautam February 3, 2016

Nic

JIRA claims to be a lot more than defect tracking system. I agree that it started its life that way. It now claims to be a agile development tool and defect is simple one of the many issue types. As part of software development, one is using the tools to create requirements which is followed by technical tasks to compete the feature and as a sprint is released the software is tested by the test team i.e. they run test cases to confirm the functionality. There is a need for one to establish traceability (called "link" in JIRA) between requirements, test cases and defects hence it is very logical for the system to support adding of test cases.

I have extended the product in last 2 of my startups including current to use JIRA for also managing test cases along with creating of links across requirement, test cases and defects. There is a reason why some of the companies in the market place are extending the product to do so. I hope I have given sufficient information to state the reason for doing so. I will be happy to work with Atlassian Product Manager, if they feel the need to explore this option further.  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2016

Indeed, but I think you need to look at the audience.  It can be used for a lot of things that aren't issue tracking, but you have to remember that it needs to retain flexibility so it can continue to work for many people, and adding stuff like test templates is generally restrictive instead of additive.

In fact, I wouldn't bother with this request at all.  It's small, highly focussed and really shouldn't just be bolted in randomly.  It should be done as part of a proper "let's make JIRA support testing in full" project.  You'll also note that there are several add-ons in the marketplace that do extend functionality in this way, and you may find Atlassian hesitant to embark on such a project when there's already a marketplace full of options.

Suggest an answer