Test retrieve user : Failed

Micke S. August 22, 2017

This is pretty frustrating.

Have installed Jira Core 7.4.2 on Windows Server 2016

My intention is to create and Active Directory Sync that gets all users within an AD-group. But i get stuck on an error that my sync account cannot be found.

This is what i have filled in into the Configure LDAP User Directory page:

Directory Type: Microsoft Active Directory
Hostname: domaincontroller.domain.com (also tested netbiosname only)
Port: 389
Username: SVC-Jira-Sync@domain.com (also tested FQDN, ie CN=SVC-Jira-Sync,OU=etc etc)
Password: The password for SVC-Jira-Sync
Base DN: Tested both DC=Domain,DC=com and a more specific OU FQDN
LDAP Permission: Read Only

Left the rest default

When its time for testing the connection i fill in User name and Password for SVC-Jira-Sync (tested both UPN and FQDN) i get this:

Test basic connection : Succeeded
Test retrieve user : Failed

User <SVC-Jira-Sync> does not exist
The rest of the tests are not performed.

if i on the Jira server open Powershell and run:
Get-ADUser "CN=SVC-Jira-Sync,OU=etcetc" -Server <server specified>
I get the user back, also verified the the UPN is correct.

I dont have any spaces in my FQDNs

Whats next?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Micke S. August 22, 2017

Somehow this error was only during the Save+Test phase, if i pressed Save+Test and then before testing i pressed back to directory lists and there i press synchronization. It works without errors.

Jira bug!!!

Ruslan Sabitov October 6, 2017

Micke, thank you!

I have faced to the same problem. Test failed, but sync is ok.

ecklerit November 24, 2017

Same issue on 2 instances of JIRA.  Unable to query base of AD and all underlying objects.  HELP?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2017

Have a look at the log file - that will be recording the errors encountered when you click test or synchronise, and they should tell you what is wrong.

Cory Galloway December 5, 2017

Same for us (Dec 2017).  The test could not find the user.  When I went back to the Users and Groups page all the objects were there.  Don't see any issues yet.  [Atlassian Bitbucket v4.12.1]

Like Joe likes this
Tanveer_Singh_Chohan April 16, 2020

I'm facing same problem but objects were not there after sync successfull. I'm getting ad groups but not getting there users.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2020

You'll need to read the log file to find out if this is a problem with the sync.  And check that the user does actually exist in LDAP as you expect it to.

Yes, User exist in LDAP and also added in AD groups. It's synced successful and
checked there was no error shown in logs.
Error logs :
synchronised [ 0 ] users in [ 0ms ]
scanning [ 0 ] users to add or update

There is any another reason it'snot getting the users?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

They might not be being selected by the rules you have set for what to synchronise or by permissions on the LDAP side.

I'm afraid without any errors on the Jira side, you'll need to debug what LDAP is doing.  You could increase logging on the Jira side to see if you can get more detail from the connection it is trying to make (Admin -> logging and profiling, I think there's an LDAP or User directory class you can increase logging on), but this is starting to look like a problem with LDAP, not Jira.

One more thing after next try it were through sync error:

Caused by: org.springframework.ldap.UncategorizedLdapException: Uncategorized exception occured during LDAP processing; nested exception is javax.naming.NamingException: LDAP response read timed out, timeout used:120000ms.; remaining name '/'

So it means we are having LDAP issue here, we need to check with LDAP part

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

That answers it - your LDAP server is failing to respond in time.

Dileep Kumar Mone December 1, 2020

Hi All,

When I am testing with all LDAP credentials the test connection is successfully done. But again when I click on synchronize it is full synchronize successful but in the logs, I can see none of the users are synchronized from LDAP to Jira. But on the Jira side, it is showing us as Test user failed but the user exists in the LDAP server.  And also in the logs, I can see error related to that i.e., 

nested exception is javax.naming.CommunicationException: DOMAIN.COM:636 [Root exception is javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateException: No subject alternative DNS name matching DOMAIN.COM found.]=

Kindly help me with this.

Thanks and Regards

Mone Dileep Kumar 

Suggest an answer