Test cases importer, Link "test" to multiple issues

Mohammad Aamir August 3, 2020

I am trying to upload Test in Jira using test case importer tool, Aim is to link one test cases with multiple existing issues (epic and user story) in Jira using Link "tests", tried with below 2 approach.

1) in excel created a column and added multiple issues separated by ",". importer resulted in error.

"errors": [
{
"elementNumber": 0,
"errors": {
"otherErrors": [
"Issue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it."
]
}
},

2) made 2 columns for 2 different issues to which i want to link this test cases but when i am trying to map both these fields using Link "tests", it only allows me to map to one field

in below screen shot , i want to map my test cases both to "Epic ID" and "User story id" using link "tests".

i am using Jira-Xray-Cloud deployment.link_testcaseimporter.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

Hi @Mohammad Aamir ,

I found a way to link a test to multiple issues, components and or labels. this on importing test cases via CSV. Use comma as a main separator in you file

Adjust the values in these columns;

1. Replace the comma (,) with a semicolon (;)
  2. Remove the spaces between the option

I have tested and used this option in a Jira Cloud environment.

Mohammad Aamir January 13, 2021

Thank You @Marc Koppelaar , Yes it works.

0 votes
Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2020

Hi @Mohammad Aamir 

Currently, it is not possible to link more than one issue at a time to an Imported Test Case using TCI.

If you have any additional questions, please reach out to Xray support and the team will be glad to help you out.

Best Regards, 

Sérgio Freire, Solution Architect and Testing Advocate @Xray

Personal blog on testing, Agile and software development: https://sergiofreire.com

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/darktelecom

Mohammad Aamir August 14, 2020

Thank You Sergio,

I was using Jira(X-Ray) server addition before, in that version i was able to link multiple issues and was also able to link test cases to multiple plans (System Test plan/regression Test plan) using "Test plan association" 

The "Test Plan association" itself is missing in X-Ray cloud.

Documentation of X-Ray on cloud says below, doesnt this mean i can link multiple issues?

Issue links limit

Due to technical restrictions there is a limit to the total amount of links the import file can have. The limit is 2000 issue links apart from the first one in every test.
In other words, every test in the import file can have an issue link defined, every additional issue link after that one, added up can be no more than 2000.
An error will be shown if this limit is exceeded

Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2020

Well, Xray server and cloud are similar but yet different products, built using different technologies and also depending on different Jira (server/cloud) capabilities.

Thus, some things may not be available in Xray Cloud  (or the other way around).

Calculated custom fields are such an example (similar to JQL functions). While in Xray Server you have a bunch of them, unfortunately in Xray Cloud they are not available due to Jira Cloud architecture/API restrictions.

Test Plan associations, however, could, in theory, be  implemented not as custom field but as something internal just for the specific purpose of the Test Case Importer.

My recommendation is for you to reach out Xray support and ask for improvement, detailing the exact associations that you would like to do whenever importing test cases in bulk.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events