Tempo Reporting Advice

Chris McInnes March 8, 2017

Hi All,

I' m after some advice on the best way to setup reporting for a mix of data from Tempo and Jira.

What we want to do is set a date range (usually Quarterly) and quickly extract some simple reports that show Time Logged:

1. By JIRA Project
    Project Name | Sum of Time Spent | Sum of Estimate Hours | Calculate Variance +/-

2. By Tempo Account
    Account Name | Sum of Time Spent | Sum of Estimate Hours | Calculate Variance +/-

3. By Issue Type
    Issue Type | Sum of Time Spent

4. By User
    User Name | Hours Logged | Hours Available | % Utilisation
    This one gets tricky because the hours available doesn't come from JIRA/TEMPO - it comes from an External HR System smile 

What I also need to do is cut the different reports by JIRA Project Categories (which are linked/grouped to different company departments).

On the surface this doesn't sound like it should be too difficult but i'm struggling smile

If I use the JIRA Search/JQL and export the data I only get the roll-up of Time Logged per issue, I don't get a breakdown if multiple users have contributed time to an issue (and the date range filter is by Issue Date not by WorkLog date).

If I use the Tempo GetWorkLog API to dump the XML Data into Excel I miss the JIRA Project Name, JIRA Project Category and a few other fields.

The Tempo Widgets are great for visualisations, but don't let you select date ranges.

The Tempo Timesheets Report seems to lack alot of the information i'm after as well.

Are there any suggestions on the best way to do (and automate) this - I don't want to have to get involved every quarter with each different department smile

Even if I can get the data in a simple format into Excel I could build some Pivot Tables to generate the reports?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

4 answers

1 vote
Abhishek Kaushik March 9, 2017

Very valid and clear requirement. 

Waiting to hear response to this from community & vendor support team

0 votes
Alexander Eck March 14, 2017

Chris,

you are not able to add the issue due and resolved date to the excel export unless you add them as JIRA custom fields. 

I am not sure what you want to achieve with JIRA estimate fields. As there might be already logged work on the issue before the report date which will give you misleading information. The remaining estimates are show the number at the moment when you print the report.

Hope that helps. But you are welcome to come back to me at any time.

Thanks

0 votes
Chris McInnes March 13, 2017

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried running the Timesheet Report export as you described above and it looks like its getting me about 80% there smile

2 more questions for you...

1. Is there a way to get the Issue Due Date and Resolved Date in this report (so we can track % of jobs completed on time)

2. With the Issue Estimate, there are 2 fields. Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate.
    If I pull the data into Excel and create Pivot Tables around the data I'm struggling to see how I can get a summary of Total Work Logged (across multiple worklog entries) vs the Original Estimate.

Assuming the Remaining Estimate is a cumulated Original Estimate - Worklog ?

Do you have any suggestions for this? 

Thanks

Chris

0 votes
Alexander Eck March 13, 2017

Chris, thanks for your feedback. 

Can I assume that you use the JIRA server version of Tempo Timesheets?

You should be able to get your required information from the Timesheet section by switching to the report view, select the time period and export the report to excel.

Depending on the amount of users (and worklogs) in your instance you could run the report at once or in parts. The excel report includes all necessary fields besides the JIRA project category. The "hours available" is handled in Tempo by setting a workload and a holiday scheme so you will need to sync this information with your HR system.

Thanks

Tate Forgey August 8, 2018

Hi Alexander, I appreciate your direct response to the original detailed request.  I don't have as detailed requirements and don't want to have to export data constantly or develop an excel solution, but we do use issue types.  Is there any way to group the native Tempo Timesheet reports by Issue Type?  Thanks!  (We also have JIRA Server.)

Alexander Eck [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2018

Tate,

a grouping option on issue types is not available in the native Tempo report engine. We have that feature on our radar but is not on our short term roadmap.

Thanks and regards

Tate Forgey August 9, 2018

Thanks for the reply.  I think a lot of people would find some tweaking to the default options really useful.  Having report grouping options for Epic and Issue Type seems a lot more useful to me than fix version or worklog in the context of creating a summarized report.

Daniel January 29, 2019

+1 on this suggestion.

I do not understand why theres no possibility to group by issue type. 

Please add this.

Jenny Roller April 29, 2019

Hi, I totally agree and would also appreciate this option.

Suggest an answer