Tabs in View Issue

len kirby April 18, 2016

This is hugely frustrating, as I had this working some time ago. Now I am trying to do it again from scratch, and I am simply unable to tuck custom fields into a tab in the standard 'View Issue' screen. I can see the tab, and custom field within the 'edit' screen, but not the 'view screen' if that makes sense.

5 answers

2 votes
len kirby April 18, 2016

@Tom Proctor - There's the big 'Associate and issue operation with a screen' button top right corner. Do I have to 'map' each of create, edit, and view with the 'scheme' I have created with the tab? 

Steve - They are not empty; they have default values. All good, I can see the TAB > custom field within EDIT, but the problem is I cannot seem to enable TAB in the standard 'view issue' screen... these custom fields appear under the default 'Details' section. I want a tab.

I can't seem to add new comments (three points?) so I'll add the screenshot here.customfield1.jpg

Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2016

Hmm, you mentioned the wrong Steve. 

Could you show screenshots of your screens and screen schemes? I'm sure we can figure this out. smile

Deleted user April 18, 2016

Not a different screen problem like I thought it might be - you only have 1 default screen... Steve?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2016

No, I am still not sure. Now I unfortunately need to ask, can we see the edit screen, where the default value is plainly visible, as well as see the view screen the field is misbehaving on?

Without access to your system we really can't tell unless you show us, sorry for the screenshot request. 

(also I just realized I'm on a extra account, my other one can approve users [i wish i could merge accounts @atlassian!])

len kirby April 18, 2016

I opted to start from scratch again, and push the changes to my production project. I am now able to see custom fields in a 'development' tab on both the view and edit screens. I am not certain why I the above issues happened, but the fresh start seems to display the tabs in View and Edit modes. Perhaps the test project I was using was polluted. 

There are default values placed into the custom fields (Developer Notes "<enter dev notes here>", and Code Review Checklist as "NOT REVIEWED" for example). This ensures new tickets, when filed, have the tabs appear.

I then bulk edited all open items that had not yet been 'code reviewed' with the defaults, so the tickets have values. Those beyond code review at this time have no defaults, and the tabs only appear in 'edit' (expected behaviour).

However....

I am now seeing many tickets with both custom fields in the 'Details' area, with no Tab behaviour. I cannot seem to find a pattern (in a certain status, or of a certain type) for the ones that are not tabbed vs those that are.

Help?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

Perhaps you need to reindex, if you've recently added or removed fields?

I need to insist, could you provide screenshots of bugged behavior? I think I understand but pictures speak a thousand words.

len kirby April 18, 2016

Thanks for your help, and patience.... the naming convention of scheme, screens, and screen schemes has me all loopy! Here's a condensed screenshot of the various admin options, and what i have. If you need more, I have numbered the UIs and you can tell me what to click, and screen shot =)

jiraproblem.jpg

len kirby April 18, 2016

I have re-indexed. No change. Am still seeing some issues with no tabs, and others with tabs.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

I think you're doing a good job of setting this up and explaining it. The language can be crazy sometimes, I agree.

Your issue view screen makes this very plainly an issue – Task has a defined screen yet looks different in two different issues! The only way this could happen is if you had duplicated custom fields, some issues filled with one, and others with the duplicate.

I'm going to think a bit, but you really have me stumped. I have never seen anything quite like this before and I've been working with JIRA for years. cheeky

len kirby April 18, 2016

More news - Upon adding a couple new issues (a task, a bug, and a story), the un-tabbed behaviour exists in the new issues. sad face

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

You may consider opening a support request with Atlassian, I really haven't seen anything like this and I'm unable to find a true duplicate question on Atlassian Answers or a reported bug in JAC.

len kirby April 18, 2016

Yes I already have - I'll let you know the outcome. It's a weird one.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

You're CERTAIN the Issue Type Screen Scheme you showed is selected by your project? smile

len kirby April 18, 2016

heh - okay let's go back to my 'map'... which button on which screen number above do I need to click and show?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

Well, one thing I can't tell in your View Issue Screen screenshots, the ones bordered by red, is if they're in the project you've assigned these screens to.

You could show me this by expanding your screenshots of the issues to show they're in the same project.

Then you could show me the Issue Type Screen Scheme assigned to the project, within that project's Project Administration section. That I think closes all loops as far as verifying that you have configured JIRA as intended.

However, I think you're encountering a weird bug or something – I can't find anything related to disappearing tabs... Usually it's just people not familiar with JIRA's behavior to hide fields that are null.

len kirby April 18, 2016

They are all in the same project.

I did just notice that any without an epic assigned are exhibiting this behaviour!

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

Hahaha.... That's even weirder. -_- I don't know what to make of it then... It would make me think that there's a bug with JIRA Software then. There's no new bugs reported yet that correspond with this though.

len kirby April 19, 2016

OK have confirmed.

I removed the 'epic link' from the screen, and all issues lose the tabs, even those with an epic.

I add it back, and the tabs reappear for those issues with an epic link.

Is it just my configuration, somehow?

len kirby April 19, 2016

Proof =) 

jiraproblem2.jpg

Deleted user April 19, 2016

OK, I'm stumped... Don't know why an EPIC link would changed the look of a screen in a Cloud Instance. You might try building new screens (or make copies) and see if it still happens.

0 votes
Onela Pilipovic December 3, 2018

Hi, I have a situation where i want to add a custom filed to the view screen under the priority filed, but Jira doesn't offer me that choise. They give me to choose where i want to see this custom filed, but only on the tabs, and now i can only choose to see it under the tab - info, and i can't move it to the place where i want ot see it. Can anyone help please. thank you 

Jane Brooks December 11, 2018

Clarifying question. Is it that you are unable to put the field where you want to on the view screen?

If so, are you trying to add it in the area at the top near where Priority is? If so, it's my understanding that area can't be changed.

Others more experienced than I - is this correct, that you can't change the area at the top, below Summary and the buttons, where Issue Type, Status, Priority, etc. are located?

0 votes
len kirby April 20, 2016

Well, I have some closure for those curious minds.

"Epic Link" is one of a few stock JIRA fields considered 'Custom'. 

So, if this field contains null, the default 'Field Tab' in the View screen will be suppressed. As such, this has a fallout effect of suppressing the second 'Development tab' I showed above.

It's likely the same behaviour will erupt with 'Sprint' as well.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2016

My mind is boggled. I'm going to need to replicate for myself I think... Is there a bug or KB article to refer to?

len kirby April 20, 2016

Not certain if there is one. I had a support ticket with them on this?

They did add some feature requests based on this.

Again, I added a tab, then added a custom field to that tab with a default value. Then, I have 'epic link' in my scheme. Those issues with no epic link will not display the tabs when viewing the issue. I'm doubt it matters whether it's any field or a custom field in the 2nd tab or not, since the issue seems to be about these pseudo-custom fields being present on the screen with a null value.
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2016

Haha... I have to look into this more myself, I think the point is slightly missed with those reports.

0 votes
Deleted user April 18, 2016

Check your screen scheme to see if the edit and view screens are different (project screen scheme -> Configure). I suspect this may be the problem. If this is the case, (they are different screens) you will need to update the layout of the view screen also.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

Are the fields null, are they currently empty? Custom fields are not visible on the View screen when they are null. Also, are you using the Admin Tool Where is my field?

Suggest an answer