Sync Service Desk with a separate instance of JIRA

Sue Marmion June 21, 2017

We are using cloud JIRA / Confluence and are evaluating JIRA Service Desk for our client facing portal.  I would like to leverage the knowlege base capabilities without exposing our internal Confluence assets, so I am thinking the safest way to do this is to establish a new instance for client facing, and link issues back to our internal JIRA instance.  I've read several things which suggest this is possible, but am a little lost on where / how to start.  I will have a group of internal users that will need to access & manage issues across both instances and would like to do this in as streamlined a manner as possible.  Can someone provide me some pointers?

- Establish a separate JIRA cloud instance for JIRA Service Desk and Confluence KB space ONLY

- Link issues fro JIRA Service Desk with issues in projects that reside in our current, internal only JIRA instace

- Keep the linked issues in sync to minimize the internal user need to traverse 2 instances so only Service Desk Agents will access the separate instance

- Ideally combine JIRA data across the 2 instances for dashboards / reporting, if possible

Thank you in advance for help!

1 answer

0 votes
atul kumar February 7, 2018

@Sue Marmion I also have the same use case that I am trying to solve for. Were you able to find an answer for this? 

Sue Marmion February 7, 2018

Yes @atul kumar  We are using a plug in called Exalate that enables integration of up to 3 JIRA instances per pricing tier.  It is fairly easy to implement and their support has been really good when we have to work through a challenge.  We have had a few stability issues, but overall it is working in production, serving our largest client via JIRA Service Desk  with automatic creation / 2 way synchronization of incident tickets in our Main JIRA instance - as well as 'on demand' creation / synchronization capabilities within a number of non critical request workflows.

atul kumar February 7, 2018

Thanks @Sue Marmion

Too bad jira doesn't provide this functionality by default. 

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2018

As an alternative of Exalate, you can also have a look at the other issue sync solutions in the marketplace which all solve the use case of combining different Jira instances with each other.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events