Structure plugin not allowing stories to be added to Epics by clicking + sign

Srikanth M March 7, 2016

We use JIRA 6.4.5 and structure 2.11.0.jira6

We have Agile boards/Epic and Structure set up in our JIRA installation with structure using filter project and JIRA Agile (GreenHopper) synchronizers.

Our users typically create an Epic in a project first (which is pulled into structure thru filter synchronizer) and then add stories to Epic by clicking + sign in the Epic view screen.

Normal expectation would be that whichever way you add stories to an EPIC (agile board or epic view screen) that is in the structure, it should always show the stories. But stories are being added to structure only SOMETIMES. 

I think when stories are added to Epic by clicking + sign, the structure is clearing the Epic Child field value in the story since agile board doesn't have it (and this occurs only sometimes). Maybe it depends on if synchronizer is running before the story is added to the Epic in Agile board (in which case Epic Child value is cleared) or if synchronizer runs after the story is added to the Epic in the Agile board (then story is added to the structure also). 

Am I right here? How do I get my structure to pull in stories when they added to Epic anywhere in JIRA?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2016

Hello Srikanth,

It's hard to say for sure without seeing the setup, but most likely your guess is correct. What happens is that in some cases the Filter synchronizer sees the stories earlier than the Agile synchronizer, adds them to the top level of the structure and then the Agile synchroniser sees that they were placed on the top level and removes the Epic link to match this position.

To solve this problem you can update the Filter synchronizer and make it add only epics, but not the stories. In this case the Filter synchroniser will take care of adding epics and Agile will add stories created under the epics.

Please let me know if this works. If it doesn't, please contact us at support@almworks.com and we'll investigate further.

Thank you,

Eugene (ALM Works)

Srikanth M March 13, 2016

Hi Eugene

Sorry for my delayed response, I just got back from leave.

Unfortunately I can't take your suggestion (to let Structure add only Epics) to my users as they usually create a story first which is pulled into Structure by Filter Synchronizer and then they convert it into Epic depending on their needs. The reason behind this is most projects that use the structure don't know if the story will be a standalone by itself or it will eventually become Epic adding more stories to it, but all Epic/stories will have to be in the structure.

I will take your idea to management, but is there any other way to order the synchronizers in structure so that Agile Synchronizer runs before Filter Synchronizer?

Thank you.

Srikanth M

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2016

Hi Srikanth,

Got you! Then in the Filter synchronizer you need to use a JQL which returns epics and stories without Epic Links. Something like: Type = Epic or "epic link" is empty

This should both solve the problem with epic links removal and will make sure you got all issues inside your structure. the stories with epics will be added by Agile synchronizer and the ones without - by Filter.

Srikanth M April 10, 2016

Thanks Eugene, that helped.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2016

Perfect! Thanks for confirming!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events