Structure Queries

Parrish Pope September 24, 2016

How can I make the structure query the "Master" of what is shown in the structure?  Initially it works fine, but over time it is possible depending on how your structure query is written that some items no longer fit the query. Presently once an item is in the structure it will not be removed(to my knowledge anyway).  Right now the only way that I've figured out how to remove them is by disabling and resynching the snchronizer(s).   As an example,  I've have a structure that uses the "sprint in openSprints() " as part of the query.  I would expect the structure to remove items when sprints are no longer open or active automatically but this is not the case.  Nothing is removed until you re-synch(unless I'm doing something wrong and there is another way i haven't discovered yet).    If this is standard behaviour, would it be possible in the future to add "Strict" and "Loose" query parameters to the synchronizer(s) to have something like this work?  In some cases being able to override the query and drag in items that don't necessarily fit the query is ok.  For other applications its desirable to have it follow the query in a "Strict" fashion.  

Absolutely Love Structure by the way!

-Parrish

1 answer

1 vote
Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2017

Hello Parrish,

Thanks a lot for your kind words and sorry for such a delayed reply. We monitor Atlassian Answers primarily based on our add-on tags (e.g. 'structure' and 'addon-com.almworks.jira.structure’). Unfortunately questions without them often get missed in a general search query. I added one of our tags to this question so we can find it later if we need to.

The reason why this happens is because structure does not know that you've closed the sprint so the synchronizers are not triggered. As an alternative solution I'd suggest trying to build your structure using Automation.

With Automation, structures are built dynamically every time you open them, so if the sprint gets closed, you'll get the new set of issues. There is caching so to refresh structure right after the sprint closure you may need to hard refresh your browser page and you'll see new results straight away.

Here is a recording of the webinar with the overview of new features including Automation: https://youtu.be/15HpABPX9fc?t=668

Should give you an idea how it works and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at support.almworks.com and we'll be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Eugene (ALM Works)

Suggest an answer