Stories Not Carrying Over Correctly in Portfolio for JIRA

Matt Newton October 3, 2016

I am trying to use Portfolio as a visual representation of all work across the teams and any dependencies that the teams have. When I create a new Portfolio Plan some stories are not carrying over all of the correct information (ex: Sometimes the team is missing for a particular story). I am thinking this could be related to the automatic scheduling feature in Portfolio. Is it possible to turn off the automatic scheduling feature and just see what is planned in JIRA?

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2016

Hi Matt,

That's not an easy one to answer in a few lines as you are potentially referring to a lot of things between the lines here. I hope I will be able to point you in the right direction anyway and I'll focus on the team part.

The formal concept of a Team is actually non-existing in JIRA. Yes, you do have people who are granted access to projects through roles, groups and maybe individually. They participate on issues by reporting them, commenting on them, being assigned on them.

When you create a Portfolio Plan, Portfolio will have a look at the source of your issues (e.g. an Agile Board) and create a Team concept for you. In the configuration settings of your plan, you can set the Issue assignee import level. Check the followin page in the Portfolio documentation to read more about it: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/configuring-plan-settings-802170511.html (in the chapter How to configure scheduling options, somewhere in the middle of the page).

If you set this option at story level, Portfolio will try to match the assignee with what's in JIRA. But then again, this might not be the case at higher levels in the hierarchy, which might also make sense.

Keep in mind though that Portfolio allows you to assign multiple team members to a single issue, something that can't be done in JIRA itself.

Matt Newton October 3, 2016

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your response. I double checked and my Issue assignee import level is set to Story as expected. I am less concerned about the individual assigned to the issue. I am seeing problems with the source (JIRA board) carrying over to the Teams field.

Here is one example of the issue.

In JIRA, the sprint is “Test Sprint 12 (9/28-10/12)”. The very first story is shown in the red box.

image2016-10-3 16:5:0.png

In Portfolio, I would expect to see this story show up under “Test Sprint 12 (9/28-10/12)”. It does not have a story in the blue boxes. When I look down below at the details, I notice that the team did not carry over from JIRA.

image2016-10-3 16:6:48.png

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Matt

Suggest an answer