Stop "Automation for Jira" to automatically become assignee

Jesper Kjær April 2, 2020

I am trying to make some automations for our Jira and I wanted to create one when a sub-task got moved from "To Do" to "In Progress", the parent task would do the same. 

The transition automation works perfectly fine, but Jira automatically deletes the current assignee and changes it to "Automation for Jira", no matter what setting I choose. 

Am I doing something wrong here? I merely want the current assignee to still be the same assignee after the automation is triggered. 

Thanks!Skærmbillede 2020-04-02 12.14.09.png

2 answers

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2020

Hello @Jesper Kjær

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Per your description, I understand that you want to configure an automation rule to keep the status of the parent issues synced with their sub-tasks when any related sub-task get transitioned to "In progress", however, keeping the assignee field untouched. Is that correct?

I believe there are two steps in your automation rule that might be misconfigured:

1 - The condition "And: Some sub-tasks match" is not necessary in this case, since the rule will be triggered every time any sub-tasks are transitioned to In progress. That being said, this condition will never fail because of the trigger, so you can remove it and the rule will still work as intended.

2 - I believe the action "And: Assign the issue to" is the one causing the assignee of your issues to be changed to the "Automation for Jira" user. As you can see in your rule details, the Automation for Jira user is the default actor of your automation rules, so that's the user triggering the event

In fact, I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve with that action, so:

• If you want your assignee to remain untouched, you can simply remove this action and save your rule
  • if you want to copy the assignee from the sub-task to the parent task, you can select "Copy from trigger issue" option and not the "User who triggered the event".

Let us know if this information helps.

Jesper Kjær April 6, 2020

Hi @Petter Gonçalves ,

Thank you for the answer. This did not help unfortunately, and it still change the user to "Automation for Jira". On top of this, I am now not able to add myself to any subtasks, but I can add my colleagues. 

Are there any other options moving forward?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2020

Hello @Jesper Kjær

If the issue is not fixed after the steps provided, I can confirm to you that the root cause of the problem is not related to this rule. That being said, it leaves us with the following possibilities:

1 - You have another automation rule that is causing the issue. I suggest you to check if there are other rules that would change the assignee field and that can be triggered by the mentioned rule.

2 - You have a workflow post-function that is automatically updating the issue assignee when it gets transitioned. I suggest you the following steps to troubleshoot it:

• Identify one of the issues that reproduced the problem, checking its issue type
  • In the project of the issue, navigate to Project settings > Workflow > Click to edit the workflow related to the issue type
  • On diagram mode, click in the In progress transition > Post functions > Check if there are any post functions that are automatically updating the assignee:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 16.05.48.png

If the steps above did not work for you, please provide us a screenshot of your current automation rule and another one from the post functions you have in your "In progress" transition.

Like # people like this
Yaroslav Pohil December 14, 2021

In my case it was workflow post-function. Thanks @Petter Gonçalves for the instructions.

0 votes
Himanshu Nanda November 12, 2020

Hey, within the same rule, or as a separate rule, you might want to try using Copy from parent or copy from issue - this should work. Works in my case at least.image.png

Suggest an answer