Startup error: database is read only

Deanna Stanley September 26, 2016

I am using the JIRA provided database for my prototyping/demo purposes and I just started getting the following error on startup:

Error occurred while starting component 'com.atlassian.jira.web.action.issue.DefaultTemporaryWebAttachmentsMonitor'. caused by: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: Generic Entity Exception occurred in deleteByAnd (SQL Exception while executing the following:DELETE FROM PUBLIC.clusteredjob WHERE JOB_ID=? (The database is read only; SQL statement: DELETE FROM PUBLIC.clusteredjob WHERE JOB_ID=? [90097-185]))

I checked the permissions for the database and they're good - it belongs to my user/group, and to be safe I ran a chmod 666 on it, so it's not a unix issue, this is something internal to the database.  I figure some flag is set and needs to be set, inside the db.  Help!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2016

"run a chmod 666" - that's for files, not databases - you wouldn't get as far as a   You need to check if the user that JIRA uses to log into and read/write the database has full access to it. 

Have a look in jira-home/dbconfig.xml to see who that is, and then use an hsql or h2 tool to check access.

Deanna Stanley September 26, 2016

yeah, I didn't expect chmod to do squat, but since I'd had a permissions issue last week, I gave it a try. I can open the database and touch it, no problem. The dbconfig file has the correct username/password too.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2016

Ok, the basic OS stuff is ok then.  But how do you know that the dbconfig file has the correct settings?  How have you tested that?

Glenn Melton September 28, 2016

What should I look for the the dbconfig.xml file to ensure it has the correct settings?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2016

The host, username, password and connection settings.  You need to check that the named user can log into the database with full read/write access.

Glenn Melton October 5, 2016

Switched to a fresh postgres database and it solved the issue I was seeing. Thanks for quick responses.

Suggest an answer