Sorting by status not working properly on a JQL Query

Benjamin Rosen December 4, 2018

Hi,

I have a JIRA board where issues progress from In Review, Second Review, to Done. I also have a confluence table which shows all of these issues, with several columns including description and status.

I used JQL to sort this table "order by status ASC". This command is not working unfortunately. The issues are showing up in the order In review, Done, Second Review - instead of, In Review, Second Review, Done. Any idea why this could be happening? 

Thanks,

Ben 

1 answer

2 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2018

Benjamin,  

Unfortunately it is working correctly.  The sorting that is occurring is correct and has to do with how the statuses are ordered (sorted) within JIRA.  You will need to check the status order in JIRA and arrange it in the proper format in order to get it to display correctly in your JQL.  You can see the order and change it in JIRA by going to ADMIN (Gear in the upper right hand corner) > Issues > Statues.

Yash R April 4, 2022

@Brant Schroeder - thank-you this was helpful!

Like Brant Schroeder likes this
Yash R April 4, 2022

once we make the chances, it auto saves and updates?

Zhifeng Koh November 14, 2023

Thank you @Brant Schroeder , I was having the same issue for my Epics and Standard Issues and I had no idea this configuration screen even existed!

Like Brant Schroeder likes this

Suggest an answer