Single select custom field with options that cannot be selected

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2016

Hi all,

May sound like a strange question, but let me explain.    I have come into a place where their whole JIRA instance was a mess.    I am completely redesigning the whole thing.  

There are custom fields that have a set of choices.  Say FieldA has A, B, C, or D.  I want to transfer this to the redesign with options A or D only.  However, I want to keep B and C as to not lose information, but I do not want people in the new flow to be able to select B or C.  So I was a select list that only shows A or D as choices when new issues are created but allows for B and C to be transferred when I migrate the old issue across.

Any and all thoughts appreciated,

Robert

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2016

Go to the custom field list of options and disable B and C.  Your users won't be able to add them, but they'll still appear in searches.  (Note that this is only possible from JIRA 4.something upwards)

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2016

I knew I saw disable somewhere, but could not find it.  Thanks!  (And that one was fairly obvious, feeling a little embarrassed) 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2016

It's well buried, but in the right place I think - the same place you'd instinctively get to when trying to delete or rename.

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2016

I agree.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events