Should a sub task have a fix version

Sally Mihalakis March 8, 2017

When doing a bulk edit on the fix version field I found that only the standard issues were updated.  The sub tasks did not reflect the bulk edit change, although they were reflected in the bulk edit total (last step in the bulk edit).

Now the sub tasks do not reflect the same fix version as the parent issue and it is not consistent across my backlog.  

What are the pros and cons to having fix versions in the sub tasks?

I'm trying to figure out if I should wipe out all the fix versions on my sub tasks, since they no longer match.

1 answer

0 votes
Karalee Kikiros
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2017

Unfortunately this is a skin the cat question and depends on your ways of working/release process. IMHO a sub-task should have a fix version to track when it is going to be released but the real question is whether they are all released at the same time as the parent task or whether you have sub-tasks that are released at a different time. 

(If they are released at the same time, you can "cheat" and pop a post-function in to copy the fix version from the parent into the sub-task)

I'm not sure why you weren't able to bulk-edit the sub-task fix versions though - that seems odd. Maybe try running a filter just on the sub-tasks and update them that way? It might be left over from the days when the parent task dictated the sub-task fix version so the bulk change function just ignores them. Might be worthwhile raising a bug (or a fug). 

Suggest an answer