Should I hide unused fields in the Field Configuration?

Sangjun Jeon February 10, 2016

Hi.

I usually configure screens per project to show or hide fields.

So in the field configuration, there are all fields shown, even though they are not used.

Suddenly I am wondering that is it okay to leave the unused fields shown.

I am worried that is it possible to make it slow for the server performance.

When i try to hide all of unused fields, it may take very long time to apply.

Just I want to know what is the best practice about the field configuration.

Thank you so much in advance for your advice.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2016

It does not make a lot of difference if you hide the fields.

Sangjun Jeon February 10, 2016

I got it. Thank you so much.
Have a good day.

Steven McCaffrey October 29, 2019

Do you see any performance benefits if you do this to all your field configurations? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2019

Nope.  It makes some difference, of course, any processing change does, but nothing you will really notice.

Hiding a field in a field configuration does not have any significant effect.  If you want to improve performance of custom fields, you will find it a thousand times more effective to reduce a field's context.  (Or best of all, clamp down on "fielditis" - reduce the number of custom fields, share more, add fewer)

Changing if a field is on screen or shown/hidden in the field configuration has a trivial impact on performance - Jira looks at the config and shows it or not.  The field is still there, with all its overhead in doing the config checks and the data in the index.

But if you remove a field's context from a project, that REALLY matters.  There is less to be indexed, there is nothing there to even be checked for field configuration or screens.  Reducing a custom field context is the second best thing you can do for performance (after fixing "fielditis")

Suggest an answer