Setting up work flow for a manufacturing company

Darrell Smith August 13, 2018

I'd like to start out right and setup my work flow properly. Any quick suggestions would be appreciated. We are a make to order manufacturing shop with 35 employees. Most projects require some level of customization of both hardware and software components. 

Projects include several steps of fabrication -- design, material fabrication (e.g. metal, acrylic), electrical wiring, programming, QC. Each step is approved by the project manager. 

After the sale we have service and maintenance interactions with the customer. 

Each machine we make has a serial number and each project is tracked by a work order (the initial build, maintenance and service all have individual work orders. 

Initially, I'm thinking of setting up projects as customers and add project builds, service and maintenance as individual issues. 

Any feedback would be appreciated as we want to be able to search a serial number and find any activity related to a particular machine. 

Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Fish
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2018

@Darrell Smith

good luck setting it up, i did something similar in the past for a client. 

Board columns would match your manufacturing process (design/ fabrication/ QC/ Assembly/ UAT)

Issues followed this general path:

Epics = customer --> Features = (work) orders --> Stories = elements of order -->Sub-tasks = steps to achieve Stories

Change orders would generate a new story, significant changes might require a new feature. Service = new story. All should link to original story for reference and history.

Serial number/ machine line you could use the component field or labels. Component is better because it is a list v free text (label) to reduce clerical errors.

Adeel Khan August 29, 2019

Hi Ryan ,

I would like to implement the same thing on a doors factory . How ever i would like to connect the Jira Software to our CRM that is managing the orders . 

What the requirements do i need to do so ? 

Jan Stähle June 4, 2021

Hi @carlos nunes

just came across your goal & question related - how did it go? 

Best,
Jan

Like Roderick Prewitt likes this

Suggest an answer