Setting up notifications for User mentions

Satyarth Negi December 3, 2015

I am trying to add a new type of Notification in our Default Notification Scheme. I want users to receive emails when they are mentioned. But it seems there is no Notification Event for User Mentions. Is there is plugin that needs to be installed to do this ? 

3 answers

3 votes
Will Gerber October 5, 2017

I was also running into this issue.  Strangely enough it was for some users but not others.  I was able to send test emails just fine but no email for @mentions.  I thought it was a permission issue, which turned out it wasn't, but after digging about for a couple of hours I found the culprit.  So, it all depends on how your user directories are configured in Jira.  If you are running off of AD, then you must ensure that the 'email' field in the 'General' tab for user properties, has the user's email address defined.  This has to be configured on the domain controller, so you may have to get with your site admin for this unless you are your own site admin.  If you are doing an internal directory, the email is a required field so you may have to troubleshoot other issues if you still can't get notifications.  Basically, make sure that your authentication server has user's email addresses defined.

1 vote
Leonie Wolf February 21, 2017

well it is... but in case the user mentioned is a watcher he won't receive an additional mail. I need him to receive this additional mail because we filter our mails for the "xx mentioned you"

If @mentions  could be part of the notification scheme that'd solve the problem!

Arianna Fabbri August 8, 2017

Hi @Leonie Wolf, did you find a solution to avoid duplicated notifications?

Thank you

Have a nice day

Arianna

Leonie Wolf August 14, 2017

Hey @Arianna Fabbri ,

no I didn't.

We started to filter our emails for the users name.

This does work most of the times.

Best regards

Leonie

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2015

You don't need to setup anything in order for @mentions to send emails. It is configured by default to send emails whenever you use this feature.

Reference: http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/06/using-watchers-and-mentions-effectively/

Suggest an answer