Setting 'Original Estimate' after task (or sub task) has been created

Matt March 14, 2017

I'm taking over managing an in-progress project.

All of the known tasks to complete the project have been logged in Jira.

We have estimates from the team for all the tasks - but none of this info has been entered in JIRA in the "Estimated" time field.

Some of the tasks already have time logged and the team have put "Remaining" effort in as a proxy for the original estimate. Unfortunately this means I can't use Time Tracking Report in JIRA, PLUS, whenI look at an individual task, I can't see if the original estimate has been exceeded because it shows a "Remaining" time of 0.

Is it possible to add an 'Original Estimate' to  JIRA task or sub-task after it has been created and time logged against it?

2 answers

0 votes
Matt March 14, 2017

Thanks, but how do I actually set the  "Original Estimate" for a task that has already been created? Where do I go?

When I open the individual Jira, and click on the "+" next to the "Time Tracking" section header (see image blow), the pop up dialog box (see 2nd image) allows me to enter Remaining Estimate but not the "Original Estimate"?

image2017-3-15 11:56:26.pngTime Logging PopUp.JPG

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2017

You set it by editing issue. Make sure that the Time Tracking field is available on the screen:

image2017-3-14 20:37:32.png

Matt March 14, 2017

Time Tracking field is NOT available on the screen when I edit the issue. I can only see the following:

image2017-3-15 15:13:21.png

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2017

You need to add it to the screen. The simplest way: click Configure fields -> select Custom tab -> click Where is My Field at the top right.

Matt March 16, 2017

Thanks. There is no "Where is My Field" option (see screen shot below). Could this be a permission issue?

Where Is My Field No Shown.JPG

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2017

You are not logged as admin so you do not have permission to add fields. Please ask your admin to add Time Tracking field: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/defining-a-screen-861253436.html#Definingascreen-Configuringascreen'stabsandfields

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2017

> Is it possible to add an 'Original Estimate' to  JIRA task or sub-task after it has been created and time logged against it?

Sure. You need to set Original estimate and Remaining estimate as: Original minus logged time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events