Service Desk project import

Jeroen van der Veen January 3, 2019

Hi people,

I'm trying to import Service Desk projects into my new instance. I've had some experience with importing software projects but never with SD projects. What are the configurations I need before I can import the SD project. Are there any other Best Practices available?

Kind regards,

Jeroen

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2019

Hello Jeroen,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

The concept of Import projects on JIRA is the same for JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk, there are no big differences between both process.

In order to give you a more efficient answer to your question, please provide us with the following details:

- Are there any existing projects on the target instance that you are planning to import your SD projects? If the answer is yes, would you need to keep the data on that instance or erase it with the project import?

- You have tagged this ticket with Server, so I believe your target instance is on the server platform. Is the instance from where you exported your SD projects on the Server platform too? Have you exported your SD projects from another JIRA instance or was it exported from another application?

Here's an article exposing some scenarios when exporting/importing JIRA projects. Please, check if this gives you some light:

Restore a Project from Backup

We will be waiting for your answer.

Jeroen van der Veen January 8, 2019

Hi Pettreson,

Thank you for the quick answer!

To answer your first question, yes there are existing projects on the target instance. We need to keep that data as well. We're planning to migrate different instances into 1 server instance.

Our target instance is indeed a server instance, one of the original instances is currently running Cloud. We're planning to export the Cloud instance to a temporary server instance and run an XML export from that temporary instance to do loose project imports on the target instance.

If the migration is more or less the same as say a software project, I should be okay. I'm just wondering if all the specific SD configuration will be migrated as well (Queues, SLA's, portals)?

Greetings,

Jeroen

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2019

Thank you for your answer, Jeroen.

In fact, JIRA Service Desk features should be migrated all together with the project if you have already subscribed for SD in the target instance.

You only must manually add the customers once the import is complete.

Please, let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeroen van der Veen January 9, 2019

Allright, this clear things up to me a :)

If it's only customers that need to be added that won't be much of a problem.

Thank you!

Suggest an answer