Service Desk Automation cant select custom field?

Timothy Harris October 17, 2016

I am creating an automation based on a query. If the "IF" statement is true I want to set a custom field to a specific value. But I can't select the custom field?

It is available on the issues and has a global context? The user is the project administrator...

This is JIRA cloud.

2 answers

1 vote
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2018

As a workaround (at least with recent versions of Jira Service Desk), you can set the automation rule with "Issue matches", choose Advanced, then enter the JQL that the automation should trigger on. Hope this helps someone!

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2016

Yeah, only a few system fields can be edited through SD automation rules.

Depending on your needs, maybe you can achieve what you need through a built-in post function.

Otherwise, maybe there's a post function that might help you in the JMWE addon.

Timothy Harris October 17, 2016

That's kind of crazy. If you have a custom field on an SD issue. I don't see why in the world you would not be able to set it during an automation rule. Is this just a cloud restriction or is this also the same on server?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2016

I bet that's the same on Server, but there you have many more plugin options for automating stuff, like ScriptRunner.

Like Bertrand BARBOT likes this
Holly Meza February 28, 2017

We are running ServiceDesk on it's own server as a trial and have the same limitation. 

Definitely bizarre. 

Nigel Rochford
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 26, 2018

We've just released a free app enabling you to edit custom field values using automation rules. Check it out on the Marketplace here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219584/edit-field-automation-for-jsd.

It's for Server only just now, but will be adding DC soon. TBC whether we do for Cloud.

Like Filiph Petzäll likes this
Kyle Kendall October 23, 2019

Do you know yet if there will be a cloud solution for this?

Like Sealeti_Mehdia likes this
Filiph Petzäll January 30, 2020

@Nigel Rochford fantastic work, thank you so much! 

Suggest an answer