Server Version SMTP configurations

Jonathan Nali March 6, 2017

Hi,

I needed to add some custom fields and was advised to get the server version, which I did. Turns out for this to work I needed to enter our own SMTP details, which I also did but they don't seem to work. What can I do?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2017

Custom fields have little to do with the version, and even less to do with SMTP servers.

Instead of guessing what might be wrong, could you give us a full picture.  Assuming the goal really is "add some custom fields", then tell us what type of fields they are and why you can't do it via admin -> custom fields -> add

(Also, why do you think you need the version or SMTP servers, although answering that is more my curiousity on how you ended up in such a wrong place)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmcf.jira-misc-custom-fields/server/overview

I followed that link. That's the link that told me I needed to get the server version.

Sorry, I probably didn't explain fully. So when I got the server version, I had to start inviting people(participants), so unfortunately, they weren't receiving email notifications. There are two options, "Create Users" and "Invite Users". On Invite Users you have to enter SMTP details for them to receive email notifications. When you choose Create Users  they don't receive notifications.  That's where I'm stuck.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2017

Right, the add-on is a red-herring, as are the custom fields.

When you set up a server version, you need to give it an email server to work with to send emails.  You'll need to talk to your mail admins to get the right settings set up, unless you already have an email account you want to send from.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. It seem the SMTP credentials I am entering aren't working. In other words I can't use the system if it can't send email notifications. Basically, all I need is:

1) outgoing SMTP;

2) email, username and password.

I have entered all these but I am getting errors when I try to save.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2017

What are the errors?  What happens when you click "test" when trying to add an SMTP server?

Alright, I managed to get the correct SMTP details. I'm a little disappointed that we have to give up the mobile app. 

Now my next challenge is how do I get the invitees to log in when the link provided is http://localhost:8080? They obviously can't access it on their personal PCs.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2017

Your base url is incorrect, you need to set it to the url you want JIRA to be presented to the users on, and make that url valid in your network.  (It can just be the ip address of the JIRA server if you want).

localhost always means "the machine I am running on" (unless you've made a right hash of your network settings).

Not sure why you have to give up the mobile app, or what it's got to do with any of this.

Jonathan Nali March 8, 2017

I believe the mobile app is only supported by the cloud version, if I'm not mistaken.

I have managed to change the URL but still cannot be reached. Maybe it's hosting process is more complicated that just entering a URL?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2017

Well, the url has to be available and findable across the network you are on.  Is the server correctly set up in DNS, so that your clients can put in a name and reach the server?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events