Search for terms across all issues/projects to just see list of matching projects

Kirill Karpelson March 21, 2019

I have multiple projects in my Jira instance. I would like to search for a few words ("reuters", "exegy", "mbpipe") across all issues in all projects for the past  year to find just the list of matching projects. 

So if the term "reuters" is found in 10 Jiras for project 1, 15 in project 2, 5 in project 3 ideally I want to see only a list of 3 projects: 1, 2, 3.

Bonus points for possibility to variate terms: "mbpipe" and "bpipe" are the same, for example. 

More bonus points if there is a widget in Jira Dashboard that can dynamically and visually display the project lists for each term.

Thanks, Kirill

2 answers

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2019

Hello Kirill,

I understand that you would like to display a projects list of the issues returned by a filter. Is that correct?

By default, the JQL filter functionality of JIRA is configured to return issues and not any other data as projects, however, there are some options you can use to properly get this information:

1 - Use JIRA REST API

The REST endpoint is:

<your_jira_url>/rest/api/2/project

More info to build the query can be found here: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/#d2e2046

2 - Export your issues to CSV and use an external app (Excel, LibreOffice, etc) to get in the project column all the unique results returned.

You can check the Exporting your search results sections of the documentation below to know how you can export your filter using CSV:

Working with search results

Although there is no gadget that would return a project list from a JQL filter, you can check for issues which contains a wild-card match for a word using the * parameter:

text ~ "bpipe*"

Let me know if this information helps.

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2019

Hi Kirill,

Try this:

1. Create and save a filter like this one:

text ~ reuters OR text ~ exegy OR text ~ mbpipe OR text ~ bpipe

2. Add the Issue Statistics gadget to a board, set to be based on Project, and fed by the newly created filter.

Repeat both steps for each term, changing the filter accordingly in order to have distinct gadgets for each of them.

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events