Search for multi value checkbox returning "The Option 'xyz' for field 'ABC' does not exist" ??

wMike Dowling March 3, 2017

I'm a novice when it comes to advance search syntax and this one is really throwing me. I have a Checkboxes custom field named Delivery Method with options: USMail, UPS, FedEx, OnTrac, etc.. Trying to do a simple search for issues where certain Delivery Methods have been checked. 

So... Project = "Shipping" AND "Delivery Method" = "USMail"   Works fine, but when I try Project = "Shipping" AND "Delivery Method" = FedEx" It errors out with "The Option 'FedEx' for 'Delivery Method' does not exist. 

So again i'm kind of stumped, that value deffinitly exists within the checkbox custom field "Delivery Method". But for some reason the search is not recognizing it. Now there's a chance that the value "FedEx" was added at a later point in time, could it be the some re-indexing is needed or something like that? 

6 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2017

Ok, I'm really stuck now.  I don't have this problem when I use the search, basic or advanced.  I think we need more information, including the context definition for the field, and what the symptoms are when you try the basic search (screenshots, sorry)

0 votes
wMike Dowling March 6, 2017

No, i think this is just a function of basic search. I get the same message anytime i try to use a multi select checkbox in basic search. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2017

I think your latest comment answers it - while you might have a valid field option, that option is not valid in the Shipping project...

0 votes

Sorry, that was just a typo in my question. There is in extra " in my actual query. To the second part of your question, it does Autocomplete the custom field name "Delivery Method" but it does not auto complete any of the checkbox options that exist within that field. 

0 votes
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2017

Since this is not a advanced query yet you could do this with Basic search. Try to do that and see what options are available. When you got the search you want click on advanced to get the JQL.

What Nic suggested in his comment is the same but global for context.

This is really strange, when i do a basic search, select the Project Name, and then try to select "Delivery Method" it is grayed out with the message "Delivery Method is not applicable for the current Project / and or Issue type". 

Actually this appears to be the case for all of my multi select checkbox fields. Maybe basic search does not accommodate this type of field. 

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2017

Could you add your custom field configuration screenshot to the question?

The values I used are different from the examples in my question, just because they are somewhat proprietary. 

I've confirmed though that the values that are throwing the error definitely exist within the custom field configuration. 

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2017

Without more details I don't think we will be able to assist. I tried few fields of checkbox type with multiple values and get no problem searching for them with JQL.

Something is not standard with your field type or configuration. That is the only reason I ask so we maybe can point you in the right direction!

Good luck

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2017

Could it be the extra " on the end of the FedEx query?

Can you try something with the advanced search too - copy and paste in the Project = "Shipping" AND "Delivery Method" part of the query, then add the = sign and start typing FedEx - does it auto-suggest FedEx?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events