Scrum board jql

Teresa Rhodes July 17, 2017

I'm a novice at the scrum board filters. I'm struggle with my teams work crosses many projects so I don't want to bring all of the projects into the query so for those projects that I have not included I wanted to pull a few tickets into the query but as soon as I add the "OR sprint - whatever it is " to the filter and save it. Then I can no longer create or start a sprint. It is like I took off the ORDER BY Rank ASC off the filter.

Here is my query that does save but then the create sprint is greyed out. This query work will populates the board but takes the creat and start functionality is removed. If I just take back the OR out then it works fine.

(project in ("ENT - Payment Gateway BE", "ENT - Get Address", "ENT - CECI Backend", "ENT - IPEN ", "ENT - Service Utilities", "ENT - Ecommerce Subtotals", "ENT - Tools", "ENT - NAIC Exceptions", "ENT - OCheque Backend", "ENT - Tasks", "ENT - NAIC Registry", "ENT - Payment Gateway") AND status not in (Closed) OR Sprint = 8403) ORDER BY Rank ASC

2 answers

0 votes

Thank you for your answer. 

My team crosses multiple projects; some I have control over and some I do not. The team has its main goals that are within the teams projects but sometimes is pulled in on other team projects to help with a single issue. 

I really want to stay with the Scrum board because it keeps the focus on hitting our sprints and timeboxing but I need to be able to find a way to bring in these on-off tickets into our backlog and ultimately into a sprint.

I'm open to any idea you might have. Thanks so much for your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2017

There's nothing wrong with your query except the "sprint" clause, which triggers it to be looked at as having a completely global context.

You will find that you need sprint rights in all the projects, but your question shows that you've got that (when the sprint thing is removed)

If the sprint thing is a critical part of the query, you could work around it.  Do something like:

Sprint = 8403

Bulk edit the results

Add a label like "exclude_from_Teresas_Reports" to all of them

Use the clause: and label is empty or label is not exclude_from_Teresas_Reports

I do have sprint access to the projects I listed but many times the odd task that I am trying to bring into the board is on projects that I don't have sprint rights on.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2017

I don't think there's a way around that - you can't use it in a sprint because you don't have the permission to do so.  That's a case for moving the issue into a project owned by the people who need to deal with it or possibly creating another issue (linked to the original) to track it in parallel

Thank you. That is what I thought but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2017

Ok, this is a bit of an obscure one, but it's because of the use of the sprint field in the query.

Sprints are not project or even board fields, they're global.  When you introduce the sprint field into a filter, JIRA has to assume you mean "all projects" (even if another clause limits it, the field makes the search global).  So when it's looking at permissions to create new sprints, it says "oh, filter for all projects" and you find you need to have "create sprint" in every project in the system.

There's a second problem with it, even if you do have rights - limiting it to a single sprint means that your board only looks at that sprint.  Creating another one won't work because it would be outside the board.  So you can't create one as it won't be on the board.

Finally, even if you could go around those, a Sprint board is of no real use if it's locked to a sprint.

Could I ask what you are trying to achieve here?

Suggest an answer