Scriptrunner post function: Update a custom text field with values from other custom fields

Paul van Oppen October 23, 2016

I have installed Scriptrunner to resolve the following issue:

In my JIRA core instance I have created a workflow. When moving an issue from "open" to the next step in the workflow I have defined a screen. In that screen, the user has to enter values to a number of custom text fields. When I close the screen I would like to run a post function that calculates the concatenation (with a space as separator) of two separate custom text fields into a third custom text field.

An example:

Custom Text Field 1 value: "abcd"

Custom Text field 2 value: "efgh"

"calculated" Customer Text field 3 value: "abcd efgh"

In this example, the user has provided values for Customer Text fields 1 and 2 in the screen but not for Customer Text field 3.

Although I have some experience with coding (mostly in the R domain, so mostly functional programming) I am a newby to JIRA and Scriptrunner. I have looked at various examples but for instance fail to understand how to concatenate the fields and update the DB.

And would such code also work if the 'calculated' field would be the summary field?

Any help, or sample scripts, would be very helpful.

I am using JIRA Core v7.2.1 and Scriptrunner 4.3.11

Many thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2016

Hi Paul,

This works for me!!

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.util.DefaultIssueChangeHolder
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.ModifiedValue
IssueManager issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager()
CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()
CustomField field1 = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Custom field 1 Name")
CustomField field2 = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Custom field 2 Name")
String field1Value = (String)issue.getCustomFieldValue(field1)
String field2Value = (String)issue.getCustomFieldValue(field2)
def tgtField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(issue).find {it.name == "Custom field 3 Name"}
def changeHolder = new DefaultIssueChangeHolder();
tgtField.updateValue(null, issue, new ModifiedValue(issue.getCustomFieldValue(tgtField), field1Value+" "+field2Value),changeHolder);

Cheers!!

Paul van Oppen October 24, 2016

Hi Mahesh,

With a small adjustment, realizing that the the "Custom field 1" and "Custom field 2" needed to be derived from the current issue, I got the following to work correctly:

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.util.DefaultIssueChangeHolder
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.ModifiedValue
IssueManager issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager()
CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()
CustomField field1 = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(issue).find {it.name == "Custom field 1"}
CustomField field2 = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(issue).find {it.name == "Custom field 2"}
String field1Value = (String)issue.getCustomFieldValue(field1)
String field2Value = (String)issue.getCustomFieldValue(field2)
def tgtField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(issue).find {it.name == "Custom field 3"}
def changeHolder = new DefaultIssueChangeHolder();
tgtField.updateValue(null, issue, new ModifiedValue(issue.getCustomFieldValue(tgtField), field1Value + " " + field2Value),changeHolder);

This code is positioned as a post function in one of the transitions in my work flow.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Paul

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2016

Into script postfunction you have issue varialbe which represents curretn issue. Namely an instance of MutableIssue class.

There are two types of issue values: in-build one and custome. There are special method for in-build values into MutableIssue class and the onle one for custom field: setCustomFieldValue.

If you have deal with create transition you should cal IssueManager.updateIssue() method to store changes into a DB. In other cases place your function before in-build post-function that stores issue into a DB.

Here is code for your question:

import com.atlassian.jira.event.type.EventDispatchOption
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue

CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();

issue.setCustomFieldValue(
        customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Text field 3")
        , customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Text field 1")
        + customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Text field 2")
)

ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager().updateIssue(
        ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getUser().getDirectoryUser()
        ,issue
        , EventDispatchOption.ISSUE_UPDATED
        , false
)
Paul van Oppen October 23, 2016

Thanks much Vasiliy!

I created a test custom field called "RMA scripted test field" and copied your code in the "Script fields" page of the Script-runner add-in. I get several error messages. Apologies to ask for your help once more.

2016-10-24 16_56_34-Script Fields - JIRA Manufacturing - WSS.png

and:

2016-10-24 16_57_39-Script Fields - JIRA Manufacturing - WSS.png

Paul

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2016

Hm, here is for JIRA 7:

import com.atlassian.jira.event.type.EventDispatchOption
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue

CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();

issue.setCustomFieldValue(
        customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Text field 3")
        , customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Text field 1")
        + customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Text field 2")
)

ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager().updateIssue(
        ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getUser()
        ,issue
        , EventDispatchOption.ISSUE_UPDATED
        , false
)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events