Scripted Listener custom email sending duplicate notifications

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2017

We're using a scripted listener to send a custom email on an event that's triggered by a workflow post-function. The problem is that sometimes, users get duplicate notifications, and it's unclear why. Here's what happens.

1. The issue is created through a mail handler with JEMH. The CC users are set as Watchers, as well as members of two other user custom fields.
  2. The custom Created event triggers the custom email listener, who sends the email to the Reporter and Assignee, and cc to the watchers and the members of the other 2 custom fields.
  3. The users will receive up to 3 identical emails sent simultaneously by the scripted listener

I suspected this had something to do with the custom fields notified in cc, but it doesn't really make sense, because all extra mails are sent to the same users in TO and CC, exactly as if the listener runs several times. However, I could see that the event was only sent once, and that the outgoing email log doesn't report any timeout errors that could explain this (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/read-timed-out-error-when-sending-outbound-mail-from-jira-applications-240193685.html)

To make matters worst, it seems to be intermittent, with only some of the tickets in this project being affected. It also occurs on other events, like Issue Resolved.

We have other similar listeners enabled on other projects, but this behaviour can't be reproduced apart from this one project.

Anybody has an idea on what it could be?

We're running jira server 6.3.10 with ScriptRunner 3.1.4

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Yelamos [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2017

Hi Nicolas.

This is a known SR bug, that you can watch and read about in our customer support portal, in the relevant issue, which is here.

As you can see it affected 4.3.8 and below, so if you don't want to update your instance I'm afraid there's nothing more we can do for you.

Do say if I can help you further.

Cheers!

Dyelamos

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2017

Hi Daniel,

The issue you linked doesn't really sound like my issue at all.

In my case, there's no duplicate attachment in the notification email. What happens is that emails are sent twice, as if the event was processed twice. The atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log in DEBUG clearly shows two identical, successful attempts to deliver the email within about 50ms, even though there's only one event that was sent, as we can see from the events log

I looked at the existing SRJIRA issues, and I didn't find one that looks like my issue.

Nicolas

Dmitry Tyomkin April 24, 2018

we are having same issue, have you been able to resolve?

Suggest an answer