Reusing a username in JIRA with LDAP

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2015

I have this scenario:

JIRA is set to use Active Directory as user directory. User John Doe (username jdoe) works 1 Yr and then leaves the company. In JIRA jdoe is marked as inactive with an [X] but keeps a record of all his events.

Later Jim Doe joins and he is assigned the same username (jdoe) by the AD administrator. But when he logs in JIRA he can see all events (made by John Doe) now associated to him.

How can I fix this assuming that the company keeps its username policy (initial+lastname)?

Thanks in advance,

1 answer

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2015

M$/AD does not have a limitation for the amount of users, so if this is an important feature, why not just disable their accounts when leaving, then move the AD user to another directory in the forest, allowing uid's to be the same if you ever need to reactivate a user? It's not beautiful, but it works..

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2015

Thanks, can you further explain how to "then move the AD user to another directory in the forest, allowing uid's to be the same if you ever need to reactivate a user" ? I was trying to create jdoe in the local directory and then rename it, but JIRA won't let me since jdoe is still there but inactive. This is Jira 6.4

Suggest an answer