Resolve as something other than "won't do" for To-Do Tasks

Matt April 7, 2016

I have a JIRA Business project that I use for task management. When I click the "Done" button, I can't make the Task resolve to anything other than "won't do". How do I default to a task being "Finished" when I click "done"?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2016

If it's automatically resolving as "won't do", that suggests there is a post-function on the "Done" transition in the workflow that is setting the value.  I'd check that first and, if present, remove it, and re-configure the transition to require a screen that allows you to set the resolution.  You may also want to add a workflow property to the transition to restrict what resolutions are available (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/workflow-properties-189949.html).

Mathieu January 22, 2017

As Jeremy Gaudet already pointed out, make sure to edit the transition, not the step.

image2017-1-22 15:29:21.png

2 votes
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2016

hi

you can do it with a update custom field post function. choose resolution and choose what you want it to be.

you need JIRA suite utilities plugin to do this which is free.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities/cloud/overview

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2016

Sounds like you have a post function setting the resolution field. You need to update it. By the way, why do you want a default of Finished, I've had several request to do things that can't be done and to mark those finished would make people think you accomplished what was asked.

Matt April 7, 2016

I'm using this for my own project tracking. I tend not to put things on the list that I won't do. So "Finished" (or similar) is a more sensible default.

Like Alex Law likes this
1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2016

If you have the correct permission...

• Check on what "Resolutions" are available in your JIRA system
  • On that workflow, check if the list of Resolution fields is being limited (maybe a workflow properties has been set)
0 votes
Matt April 7, 2016

Thanks for the responses, I seem not to have the right permissions to fix this myself. Have pinged our admin.

Suggest an answer