Resolution issue when filtering

Zita Kocs May 26, 2016

Hello!

I have the following problem: until now, we did not use resolutions and it would default to Unresolved, where it would stay until the stories were closed. Lately, we had a lot of duplicates and I wanted to use resolution Duplicate to eliminate these from my team's view. So, some of the stories are Duplicate and most are Unresolved.

In Project Settings > Issues > Resolutions I have both of these resolutions and the Unresolved is the default. When I open the list of issues: Issues > Filters and use one of my saved filters, I add the Resolution as a filter, in the drop-down list I have two Unresolved resolutions. Also, selecting either of the two displays no results. Can you please help me out? I do not want to go through all my stories Unresolved and have to update the resolutions.. Thank you! 

2 answers

0 votes
Zita Kocs May 27, 2016

Hello Phill!

Thank you for your quick reply! The strange thing is that I did not add another resolution, and if I go to the View Resolutions screen (in Administration), there is only one resolution called Unresolved. Only when I use Resolutions as a filter I see two, and neither brings back any results, even if I have stories with resolution Unresolved... It sounds strange, I will attach screenshots smile

View resolutions.jpg

Filter.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2016

Phill's point is that the "unresolved" in your list of resolutions should not be there

Also, I can see in your list "in sprint".  That's probably broken as well - whilst an issue can be in a sprint and resolved, it should only be resolved if it is in the "done" column, and with a resolution that tells you why it's been resolved, not "in sprint", as that doesn't tell you why it's ended.

Any value in the resolution field means the issue is resolved.  It doesn't matter what you call it, it means the issue is resolved.

You need to remove that - the first step is to rename the broken ones to something clear like "broken resolution 1, do not use".  That should fix your searches and make it clear what is going on in your system.

Then, you'll want to do some analysis to find out where they've been applied incorrectly.  If you look at the colours of your status categories (blue, yellow and green), there's a simple rule - an issue should have a resolution when it's in a green status, and not have a value when it's blue or yellow.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2016

If I understand you correctly you have added a custom resolution called "Unresolved" to the system which will conflict with the inbuilt value for an empty resolution which is also called "Unresolved". 

An empty resolution should quite rightly be defined as Unresolved using the internal description. If you update the description of your custom resolution to "Custom Unresolved" you will be able to use this in your queries. 

I would recommend that you use the following JQL (after renaming) to identify all issues using your custom resolution value.

resolution = "Custom Unresolved"

Then using the bulk change you can deal with these as appropriate either setting an actual resolution or clearing the resolution field.

Once you have removed the "Custom Unresolved" from all issues you should then delete this resolution so that it can not be chosen in the future.

For reference I find the easiest JQL to identify issues that do not have a resolution is

resolution is EMPTY 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2016

:o Oh god, the pain my heart just felt. "In Sprint" and "Unresolved" should not be resolutions. /cry

Good work listing out the path to fix this issue.

Suggest an answer