Resolution field moves to fixed when edited. I want it unresolved unless manually modified?

Cyndy Eng-Dinsel July 5, 2017

We created a resolution field in our tickets and to have it automatically set to unresolved when the ticket is created. 

Anytime someone edits the ticket, it moves to fixed. If we try to edit it, none of the options are unresolved or in progress. This is confusing if the ticket is in To Do of In Progress columns. 

Is this a bug, or can I fix this?

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2017

You have put the resolution field on the "edit" screen for the project and issuetype.

You need to remove it, as any time it is presented to the user on an update screen, it will be set.

It's not a bug, it's by design - the intention is to use the field *only* on transition screens going into a "closed" status.  This allows the field to be empty (issue is unresolved) until such a time as it becomes resolved and it makes the user enter a value, without making it mandatory.

(It's also a hangover from JIRA 1, and something I believe was a poor design since version 2, and it should have been sacked off in favour of a more useful "issue is done" rule)

Suggest an answer