Research workflow provides the ability to transition to a defect or an enhancement.

Darren Weaver March 17, 2016

The research issue then automatically closes but provides no context AND NO LINK back to the research issue.  How do I add a link to the newly created defect AUTOMATICALLY?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2016

I'm afraid you have not given us any context here.  Research issues and defects are not standard JIRA issues, so you've added them, and you'll need to explain what they are for and how you've configured them.  And then when it "automatically closes", what you mean by "no context" and what you mean by "no link" (especially as that sentence appears to say that you're expecting an issue to link back to itself?)

Nic, let's say that the research workflow has two transitions (each of them displays a button to choose to create an issue type).  Let's say the workflow has led us to the step where the user can now click on "open defect".  The open defect transition automatically opens an issue type of defect in the background but does not display any description or link to the other issue. That's the problem. No other context is needed to solve the problem.  if you can't answer it then close your answer. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2016

Right, now you've partially explained a load of stuff you had not bothered to explain before, we can try to help.

>the research workflow has two transitions

Ok.  From which status?  To where?  (Not that we actually need that particularly, having worked through the rest of your update, it's just pointing out that you did not tell us that before, and that you are still not giving us everything)

>(each of them displays a button to choose to create an issue type). 

JIRA does not create issues other then by using the "create" function.  I now have to guess that you mean you have added 3rd party post-functions that create other issues.

But you have not told us whether these are creating issues or where, or if they are sub-tasks of the current issue.

>Let's say the workflow has led us to the step where the user can now click on "open defect". 
Yep.

>The open defect transition automatically opens an issue type of defect in the background

Ah, ok, we get a bit more useful information.  But still no indication of whether it's an issue or a sub-task.

>but does not display any description or link to the other issue.

>That's the problem. No other context is needed to solve the problem.

The original context had none of the information needed to even begin to answer, which is why I asked..  Your comment was far more useful and informative and means I can take a swipe at an answer:

• Creating an issue as part of a transition *can't* refer to the new issue.  How could it?  You're working within the context of issue X and your code has run off and created Y and Zwhich have nothing do with X.
  • If you are creating sub-tasks, then they belong to the issue, so there IS a link, automatically
  • If you are creating issues at the same level as the current one, then there is no relationship, it's just a new issue.  You will need to add more code to link the two of them to whatever function you've added that creates the new issue.

Thanks Nick, see you were able to answer my question making some reasonable assumptions based on your experience with other carriers.  well done.  Your condescending tone is not what I would expect from a member of an Atlassian organization.  Perhaps a modicum of patience would help? Or perhaps, can you just not pick up any tickets that you're not willing to put forth some form of decency? Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2016

>see you were able to answer my question making some reasonable assumptions based on your experience with other carriers

No.  I was able to guess what you meant after you provided more information.

>Your condescending tone

Fair point, I do get condescending when people are rude to me when it's pointed out to them that they have given little or no useful information and I'm asking for more detail. 

Maybe next time you're asked to expand on a question that cannot be answered, you would have the decency to answer it without insulting the person trying to help you?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2016

Anyway, have you managed to get anywhere with the actual question?  Now that I've (hopefully) explained that the issues are separated, does it make sense that you need to think about how to link them?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events