Requirement is to pull data from Remedy also require the integration between Remedy & JIRA.

Binaya Ojha July 21, 2016

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2016

Ok, you're going to need to find or write a connector to get the systems to talk to each other.

There are a couple in the marketplace on the JIRA side, I'd suggest you start there.

For your "integration" - this is a brilliant example of a "suitcase word" - it carries a lot of implied meaning, but tells us absolutely nothing of any practical use.  You're going to need to define what you want from an "integration".

Binaya Ojha July 22, 2016

Here integration means, suppose if i am doing any updation in the incident in JIRA then it should reflects in Remedy.For example if i am changing the status of the incident, then it should reflect in Remedy as well. Or say if i am adding any comments in JIRA, then it should reflect in Remedy as well. And it should be both way communication.Is it possible ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2016

Possible, yes, easy - not necessarily.

If you can't find a pre-written connector that suits you, then you'll need to code stuff for yourself (or engage a partner or expert to do it for you).  Have a look in the marketplace, there are a couple in there, although the ones I'm thinking of are generic - not "Remedy/JIRA" but more "Generic system/JIRA".

Most places I've worked with tend to be moving off Remedy though, rather than "integrating", so I'm not completely up to date with what's in the marketplace.

Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2016

Nic, Unfortunately it is sometimes required to live in both Remedy and Jira, at least for long enough to convince certain portions of the company that the millions they spent on Remedy were wasted. smile

My company ended up building a 2 way integration between Remedy and JIRA from scratch. Deep knowledge of both tools is required because they have fundamentally different ways of working.

One of the bigger development challenges is that Remedy's assignment and workflow models are significantly different from Jira's. For example: In JIRA you can reassign an issue to a different person pretty much at any time. In Remedy, if you change an issue assignment, the status always moves back to "Assigned". This is one example of case where a change entered on JIRA and propagated to Remedy causes other state changes which must then be reflected back in JIRA. Without strong understanding of the two models and careful design, endless change loops are all too possible

Another significant challenge in any 2-way interface is designing for resilience and re-sync after either system is down, whether from a planned or unplanned outage.

A one-way integration is relatively straightforward. A Bi-directional is a challenge, but possible, 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2016

Yeah, I know, I've worked with Remedy a few times, and I know very well that it's a legacy system that will take time to move off on to sensible systems.

You do need a full understanding of both ends of an "integration" of course, and that's why I recommend going for add-ons first - someone else has hopefully done some of that for you!

Suggest an answer