Required Permissions to edit the Jira Issue Type Schemes for Project

Grant Wuller November 15, 2019

Hello Everyone

I have a small issue. I gave one of our end user the administrator priviliges for one specific project, please do remember that it's not a Global Jira Administrator permissions. That particular end user is unable to configure issue types in the issue type scheme. When he tries to edit, Jira says, to configure the issue types, or change what issue types are available, contact your JIRA Administrator

How can I grant that particular user to edit the issue types for his issue scheme for his project rather than giving full global Jira Administrator Permissions?

Please suggest

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 18, 2019

Hello Grant,

Thank you for reaching out.

I clearly understand that you would like to allow your project admins to edit the Issue type schemes related to their project without the need to give them the global administrator permission.

As you may know, Issue type schemes can be associated with several projects at the same time. That's the reason why project admins can not edit Issue type schemes once their changes can also affect other projects that are not under their administration.

That being said, we understand how this feature would be useful to take off some backlog from the global administrators, and here's where we found a room for improvement:

We could allow project admins to edit their issue type schemes for the cases when they are only applied for their respective projects, not shared with other projects under a different project lead. We have a feature request to get it implemented here:

Extended Project Administrators permissions to edit issue type scheme 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer