Reporting Stories and test status within a sprint

Clifford Wright July 15, 2016

I'm a test manager on a programme where we have multiple scrum teams feeding code into a single branch that gets regression tested and ultimately released to live.

with this, I need a way of tracking / reporting the status of stories and tests within a sprint - such that I know which stories ended up "Accepted" out of each sprint and the tests associated with those stories (+ their status).

Any test associated with a story that was "Accepted" (successfully completed within a sprint) needs to be assessed for applicability for being included in the overall regression pack to be run against the merged code out of the sprints.

The company I'm working for has JIRA and Zephyr - so I seem to be able to create a filter that tells me the status of the stories within a sprint - and (via Zephyr) a test cycle that tells me the status of the tests within a sprint - but not a combination of the 2.

Just using the zephyr report doesn't show which stories ultimately didn't complete within the sprint, and the JIRA filter doesn't show me the tests associated with the completed stories without going into each story individually.

can anyone recommend a reporting method that would help combine these needs?

1 answer

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2016

You say that tests are "associated" with stories, but do you link them together using issue links?

If so, I know a couple ways to see the related tests using plugins available for JIRA Server:

• Using Structure, you could have a structure where Tests linked to Stories through a specific issue link ("part of story" / "tested by" would be ok names I guess) are placed at the level below the story they're linked to. You're not limited only to the parent/subtask hierarchy, as you can make your own using other kinds of relationships. With the expanded structure, you would see at a glance which tests are contained within each story and their status. That would be your best solution, but it's a costly plugin.
  • Using ScriptRunner, you could write a JQL query that pick up only Test issues linked to stories of a specific status. The syntax would look something like this: issueFunction in LinkedIssuesOf(status = Done, "tested by"). So to get incomplete stories and tests linked to complete stories in the same filter, you'd get something like type = story AND status !=Done OR issueFunction in LinkedIssuesOf(status = Done, "tested by")

The ScriptRunner solution doesn't seem quite as good to me, as you can't group completed stories with their tests, while with Structure you'd get the entire tree of stories and their related tests. But SR is much more affordable, and is extremely useful for other things.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer