Renderers not available for custom fields

Sharlena Biron October 29, 2015

I am setting up a single select custom field in JIRA Cloud and the renderers are not available from the Field Configuration Screen.

According to JIRA Cloud documentation, the following renderers are standard (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracloud/__renderers-735941878.html):

JIRA currently ships with the following renderers:

• For text fields:
    • The Default Text Renderer, which displays plain text; and
    • The Wiki Style Renderer (utilising the Confluence wiki engine), which displays rich text (HTML). information To see how a 'Wiki Style Renderer' field will look when it is displayed to a user, please see Editing Rich-Text Fields.
  • For multi-select fields:
    • The Autocomplete Renderer, which allows the user to start typing text which is then 'autocompleted', or to select from a dropdown list of options; and
    • The Select List Renderer, which simply provides a dropdown list of options. information For custom fields of type Multi Select, only the Select List Renderer is available. Furthermore, when modifying a field configuration, you will not be able to configure a Multi Select custom field's renderer.

The only renderers I see in our instance are when I create a custom text field, are the Default Text Renderer and the Wiki Style Renderer  If I create a select list custom field, the renderers don't show at all. I need the other renderers to be available as well.

Has anyone else seen this and have any ideas as to what may be going on?

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2015

JIRA is applying appropriate renderers for the fields you are defining.  If you add a text field, it offers you one of the two renderers for that.  When you add a select list, it gives you the select list renderer because that's the only valid one, it has no other way to draw them.  Drawing a select list as text, wiki or even multi-select is nonsense because the data doesn't fit.

Sharlena Biron October 30, 2015

I agree that I am getting the correct renderers for text fields. I am not getting any renderers for custom fields that are set up as select lists. I understand that the autocomplete renderer is not available for multi-select lists, but I would at least expect to see the Select List renderer for single select fields. Are you saying that fields that are set up as select lists will not show the Renderers option on the field configuration screen since there is no other renderer option available?

0 votes
Richard Gee September 14, 2017

I'm using the Message Custom Field (for edit)  - and I don't see any Renderer option in the Field Configuration screen.

According to the documentation I should be able to select a Wiki Renderer - am I missing something?

(v6.4.6)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2017

The docs don't say you can select a renderer for message fields (because you don't.  They're simple message fields that don't need a renderer)  They do say you can use velocity in them though - no renderer needed for it to understand that.

Richard Gee September 17, 2017

The Atlassian knowledge base does say you can use wiki markup:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-add-a-message-or-field-on-jira-create-issue-screen-759990667.html

But I found that HTML works fine for me, so problem solved.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2017

Yes, that is what I said.  You can use markup.  You cnnot change the renderer.  Different things.

Richard Gee September 18, 2017

The documentation says you can use wiki markup, which you can't, it doesn't mention Velocity anywhere I can find.

And Velocity does not get parsed either, it is output as-is - so the field seems to be rendered raw.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2017

Have you tried reading the documentation for the add-on?

Ed Boraas October 19, 2018

Nic,

The documentation says "Note that you can use wiki markup within the field". As others have noted, this is not in fact the case. I can confirm that wiki markup is not rendered in this field (though, oddly enough, HTML is).

Is there something specific in the documentation you were trying to point Richard and others to?

Christopher Mahoski February 18, 2019

We are also trying to make this exact use case function correctly, but wiki markup is not correctly rendered.  Can confirm that no renderers configuration is optioned on the field configuration for this field either.  We have fallen back on HTML as well, which is not what we would like.

Like brooke likes this
Kay M May 8, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-Quick question on text renderers. This documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver0713/configuring-renderers-964983547.html says, for custom field Text Area and Text Field, the default renderer is: Wiki Style renderer. But when I add these custom fields, I get 'Default Text Renderer' by default. Even though I can change this, I am just wondering whether that is the case for everyone. I do see for other text fields like Comment, Environment etc, it does show it is using Wiki Style Renderer. But just for any text custom fields, I see this discrepancy with the document. Thanks in advance.

Like Josh Thompson likes this
0 votes
hcervantes March 9, 2017

Experiencing the same problem.  Has there been a resolution for this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2017

It's rendering the fields correctly.  There does not seem to be a "problem" to be resolved here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events