Remove or Modify 'Create' button from TL Menu

John Elnaugh November 9, 2015

Hello there,

I would like to remove or re-map the button located on the top level menu within JIRA.

We are using JIRA as a service desk solution, however some of our Agents are creating jobs using this button instead of through the Service Desk Portal.

This doesn't present a major logistical issue, however I would like it to be unified (and either remove that button or link it to the Service Desk Portal).

Any easy way of doing this?

image2015-11-10 10:3:2.png

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jeff Louwerse
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2015

You might have to do an inspect element on that create button to get the ID in your version.. but this worked on 6.3.15 from the dashboard (might be different on other pages) ..  This is a hack of a hack I use to remove the "Create Epic" link in JIRA Agile.  Just put this in your Announcement Banner.  Yo might want some logic to test that button exists before trying to remove, hide or change it.

<script type="text/javascript">
function RemoveCreateLink ()
{    var button = document.getElementById('create_link');
    button.parentNode.removeChild(button);
}
jQuery(document).ready(function() {   setTimeout(function() { RemoveCreateLink();  }, 2000); });
</script>

Note these next to I didn't test but it is basic javascript and easily google'able.

You if you just want to hide it..change button.parentNode.removeChild(button); to

button.style.display = none;

To change the URL

button.href="newURL" 
0 votes
udayasuriyan keerthika May 13, 2019

i have the same problem can anybody help in the process

0 votes
Jim Helmbrecht July 25, 2018

I would love to have the option as well.   It currently allows users to bypass the portal - and that is bad because we have built so many automations from the portal.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2018

Remove their right to "create issue" in the projects you want them to use via the portal.

Geir Simensen August 24, 2020

How can you remove their right to "create issue" in the projects?

0 votes
ServiceDesk March 6, 2018

I have the same problem. I am using JIRA Service Desk Cloud. Does not seems to work for me.  Any tips?

0 votes
Joao Marigonda February 7, 2017

I have exactly the same problem, people from service desk always insist to create issues using the create button instead of the RAISE REQUEST link (messing all issue types and creator emails)

This is a really annoying "feature" in JIRA service desk addon

Suggest an answer