Remove Comment text box

kanchana wijerathna September 1, 2016

How to remove the comment text box appear in the JIRA transition view screens (popups)

4 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2016

Two approaches - nasty code hacks, or you could remove the user's permission to comment on issues (either through the permission scheme to do it consistently, or with workflow properties)

1 vote
Konstantin Mitov [Botron]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2016

Hi, 

It's a bit of a workaround, but you can do it by editing a custom field appearing on that screen and adding the following code in the description text area:

<script type="text/javascript">
if(AJS.$('#issue-workflow-transition-submit').val() =='Transition Name'){
AJS.$('div.comment-input').css('display', 'none');
}
</script>
0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2016

Remember, the code hack will need to be done whenever you upgrade and it may not be the same each time and once you start management will keep asking for more.  One place I was at had put in over 100 hacks to code and a new release came that was a nearly total rewrite so none of them fit any more. It took nearly a year to reproduce them in the new version.

0 votes
Konstantin Mitov [Botron]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2016

Hi kanchana,

It's a bit of a workaround but if you edit a custom field appearing on that screen and put the following code in the description text area:

<script type="text/javascript">
if(AJS.$('#issue-workflow-transition-submit').val() =='Transition Name'){
AJS.$('div.comment-input').css('display', 'none');
}
</script>

It should hide the comment section.

Regards,

Konstantin

mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2017

Thank you Konstantin! 

You're a legend! I tried so long to do this with plain CSS, and every time i had something disappearing that I did not want. AJS rocks.

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2017

if this works on all verions of JIRA, it should be included in the Atlassian documentation, I've been looking for a working solution for quite some time.

Have you tested it on 6.x and 7.x?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2017

It's never going to be included in the documentation because it's an unsupportable and unwanted hack which is likely to become unusable in the future.

Like _Fabian A. Lopez likes this
mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2017

Agreed with Nic, but a change should be proposed and voted; i think it would be useful for many users.

Suggest an answer