Relation Parent and subtask , automatic field update

Corinna March 16, 2016

Does anybody has an overview about JIRA Funcionaltiy regarding parent und sub tasks ? Often i need to update a field in Parent task and want it to be updated also in sub task. But there comes no relationship shifted with JIRA for this case ? or any free method to get a better relationship automatic update of fields with same content ??

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

Not really, it's a very simple relationship.

When you create a sub-task, it will take on attributes of the parent by default if the fields are there.

You get a display of the work logs from child issues rolled up to the parent

That's it really.  Off-the-shelf, you can add the "sub-task blocking" condition into your workflows, and if you have Software, parents can transition to done when all the subtasks are complete.

Anything else, you'll need to find/write add-ons for.

Corinna March 16, 2016

but if I fill out the value of the parent field later—does subtask overtake value automatically if field is there.....but sub task was already created ?

what if I activate field in sub task later, when field was already filled out in parent task ? how can I make it than overtake the value of it s parent task ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

No, once the subtask is created, it's an individual issue in its own right.  If you want it to pull data from the parent, or update the parent, you need to find or write code that will update the issue according to your rules. 

There's quite a few add-ons that can do those things in the marketplace (and ones like the Script Runner give you a huge amount of flexibility in there)

Like David Kang likes this
Corinna March 16, 2016

ok,, thanks ..so if my subtask is a linked issue (different issue type) to another issue...also principle is write code to synchronize fields in both issues, or do it manually....the pull data princip works as soon as i did not think properly before setting up links or sub tasks.....so i could have avoided it...thanks again...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2016

Yes.  You will need to code for anything more than "default stuff from parent on create". 

Links are only intended to show relationships between arbitrary issues too, so they have nothing to do any dependent updates at all (and, it's really hard to capture link updates.  Changes to issues on either end of a link can be caught and coded for with listeners, but add/remove link can't)

Like John Partington likes this
Corinna March 17, 2016

ok thanks....so i am just starting learning to code....hmmm for script runner or so...is this an own laguage  ? I think it s just based on another language...so which lamguage should I learn for be able to code this kind of simple codes with JIRA (using script runner)....Phyton ??

Corinna March 17, 2016

ah and one more question (—) if I have linked all my workpackages for a Feature via lnks to the main feauture (let s say i have constructions index Feature type  and test case Feauture Type) . So is there a way to reflect Time tracking values of my linked Features to the main Feature ? (As it can be done with sub tasks ?)

??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2016

Script Runner provides a way to run Groovy inside JIRA, and it can directly use the java API inside the system too.  I'm not a Groovy coder, I know Java a bit better, and I end up using a mix of both in some of my scripts.  You could get it to run python too, but it's a bit more work, and it's a lot easier to just use Groovy and Java in your scripts.

A link is there to show a relationship between issues, nothing more.

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to configure way to keep fields for parents and sub-tasks in sync using Automation for JIRA!

You can easily modify related issues (such as parents, stories, sub-tasks, epics, linked issues and even JQL) using our related issues action and condition:

(this example updates the description, but pretty much any field can be edited)

For more details see https://blog.codebarrel.io/synchronize-parent-and-sub-task-issues-with-automation-for-jira-bdcca6c9d453

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events