Quick JIRA upgrade : 6.0.1 to 6.4

Rafal Sojka October 24, 2016

Hi,

I want to upgrade old JIRA instance 6.0.1 to 6.4.

Please let me know what is the fastest way to do this because my current approach would be to take every little release 6.0.2, 6.0.3, ...,6.4.13, 6.4.14 and install them one by one.

Could I skip some versions and go ahead quicker ?

Thank you for any help.

Regards,
Rafal 

2 answers

1 vote
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2016

I'm going to be bringing 6.08 to 6.4 in one step very soon.  I tested this on another server and had no problems.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2016

6.0.1 to 6.4.4 is, in theory, possible in one step.  You really need to test it first, and I would plan on doing 6.0.1 to 6.2, and then 6.4.4, as I've run into problems doing it in one go.  But it should not be more than two steps.  Most of the problems were down to add-ons too, if you've got a plain JIRA with few or no add-ons, then 6.0.1 to 6.4.4 is probably a one step upgrade!

Rafal Sojka October 24, 2016

Thank you Nic.

Unfortunately, my JIRA server is not plain, it has been used for 3 years without upgrade by different people and groups. Do you know why 6.2 is so special I would need to upgrade to this version first ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2016

It was a version that supported an add-on that was causing problems if we tried to go straight to 6.4

Even with a 3-year old JIRA server, I still think you are likely to be able to go from 6.0 to 6.4 in one step.  I'd just allow time to test and step through 6.1, 6.2 or 6.3 as you go, in case you do have problems.

Suggest an answer