Question about Custom Field Hierarchy

MAG-II February 26, 2019

Hello - 

I am in a peculiar situation in my JIRA project. I am trying to do something that seems complicated. I will attempt to explain - 

I want a post function to automatically choose an Assignee based on the value of a Custom Field drop down list. I know I can achieve this through a Groovy script.

I need to figure out a way to make this post function work dynamically. Meaning, when I add more values to the Custom Field drop down I want the post function to be able to determine the Assignee without me having to always go back and change my Groovy script.

Are there any kinds of custom fields that allow me to assign values to groups? A kind of hierarchy in a custom field would be much easier for me to configure and maintain when adding new options to the Custom Field drop down list. The idea is to not have to ever change the Groovy script in the post function.

Does anyone have any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2019

I'd use Components and component leads, rather than a custom field. Or hack the mapping of custom field option to assignee using option names such as "Option ABC (jsmith)"

MAG-II February 26, 2019

Hi Matt - 

Thanks for the response. I don't think I would know anything about hacking the mapping of a custom field. 

Could you elaborate a bit on "Components / Component Leads"? I can't say that I'm familiar with this..

Suggest an answer