Query to find issues which previously belong to a sprint

Ashish Sharma August 14, 2018

Dear All,

I am looking to query issues which were previously tagged to a sprint, and now moved to new sprint. Like I had issue ABC-1 which was in sprint 1 (among other issues). I moved this to Sprint 2. How can i write query to find all the issues which got moved from Sprint 1.

Sprint field doesn't support WAS operator. Using Script Runner or any other plugin is not an option.

4 answers

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2018

Hello @Ashish Sharma

You can achieve your requirement easily using this JQL query (no need of plugin)

Sprint in closedSprints() and (Sprint in openSprints() or Sprint in futureSprints()) and type not in (Sub-task)

Here you get issues which had sprint field in closedSprints() i..e old sprints and are also present in the open or future sprints  which means issues have been part of earlier closed sprints and are now part of active/future sprints. 

You can add criteria like Project = ABC etc to further filter your search results.

Ashish Sharma August 15, 2018

Hi @Tarun Sapra, Perheps I was not clear enough. I am afraid this query won't work because:

Issue was moved to Next/Future sprint BEFORE the current sprint was completed hence such issues will not be part of the result set returned by query "Sprint in closedSprints()".

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ashish

Like GuLotz likes this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2018

Then I would suggest you to try the JQL functions which are part of the ScriptRunner plugin

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/jql-functions.html#_agile

addedAfterSprintStart

removedAfterSprintStart

nextSprint

These might come in handy since you have removed your issue from the current "started" sprint and moved to next sprint thus above JQL functions should give you the right results. But since you have shared that ScriptRunner is not an option then I don't think you can achieve what you want. 

Ashish Sharma August 16, 2018

:(

There should be a "WAS" operator for "Sprint" field also.

Like # people like this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2018

Actually was operator is not required because we have "closedSprint()" which does the job well, but in your case it's a specific scenario wherein you have taken the issue out of an open/active sprint hence closedSprint() is not working for you. So i feel a plugin is  a way to go for this as Atlassian can't always prioritize such edge case requests.

Like marcin.prokop likes this
Tsafrir Meir February 11, 2022

This is not an edge case! WAS operator IS required!

Teams and product owners who constantly manage the scope of the sprint, may (and should) descope issues from the sprint, which they decide that they are not going to do for various reasons. By doing this they are actually changing the sprint plan. Later on, we want to see which issues were previously assigned to the previous - in order to analyze the impact on the overall plan.

Please add WAS operator....

Like # people like this
0 votes
Jim B May 4, 2023

This is so frustrating; there are plenty of reasons why we might want to move a ticket from one sprint to another, and we should be able to query and analyze these transitions. The sprint history is maintained in Jira - the History tab shows every time the Sprint field changes; it's a serious omission that you cannot access this in JQL.

Bev Feierbacher May 31, 2023

Agree - Additionally if you look at the starting Sprint's "Sprint Report, it shows "Issues Removed From Sprint". 

I too need to see how effective we are in meeting ORIGINAL sprint commitments and when people remove them from an open sprint that is needing to close we struggle to "easily" get this information.

JIRA responders, please do not suggest for me to export this section of the Sprint report, that is an inefficient use of my time. I also should not have to get plug ins or add ons. This should be able to be retrieved via JQL queries.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Artur Mironczuk August 23, 2019

try this

issueFunction in removedAfterSprintStart("Sample Scrum Board", "Sample Sprint 3")
Kinjal Patel September 15, 2021

However, it doesn't look like removedAfterSprintStart is available for JIRA Cloud. Is there any other workaround?

Like Sathish Kumar likes this

Suggest an answer