Project planning within JIRA - can I discard MS Project?

Chris Jarvis November 20, 2016

I'm evaluating Tempo to see if it can replace our current system for traditional task and project planning (not Agile). To manage the IT portfolio right now, we use MS Project and a series of spreadsheets that require manual intervention to keep the two synchronised.

JIRA and Tempo have ticked a lot of boxes so far, but as far as planning goes, I've found lacking in some key areas. For example:

• speed
  • predecessor/successor relationships
  • cascading changes (e.g. change a task duration, all subsequent tasks move accordingly)

I've had some difficulty integrating / importing between Project and JIRA, but those are separate issues. I'd love to know: is there an add-on or plugin for JIRA that allows for efficient project planning?

I'm not talking multi-year, thousands-of-tasks projects - more on the 3-6 months, 1-200 tasks scale.

5 answers

3 votes
Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2017

BigGantt is pretty darned nice

BigPicture is BigGantt plus a Resource Model, so even closer to MS Project

3 votes
Deleted user November 20, 2016

Hi Chris

You might want to check out the following plug-ins:

BigGantt

BigPicture

I have no experience with these but they seem to be what you're looking for.

BR

Marius

0 votes
Sergey Gussak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2018

Hi Chris,

There is also the option to keep MS Project and use it with JIRA and Tempo. You can integrate them with the help of Ceptah Bridge. You can do all your planing, scheduling, dependencies and re-scheduling in MS Project and then reflect that all in JIRA. You can also track progress in JIRA with Tempo and then import it to MS Project, re-schedule tasks and put the changes back to JIRA, e.g. new Due Dates. Once set up, the synchronisation will require only a couple of clicks in Ceptah Bridge.

Cheers,
Sergey

0 votes
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2016

Please take also a look at https://www.youtube.com/user/tempoplugin

The videos about Tempo Planner might give you some more information about available features and possibilities.

Regards,

Susanne

0 votes
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2016

Hi Chris,

You might also want to look into JIRA Portfolio, which is an "agile portfolio management tool, built for JIRA" by Atlassian themselves.  You don't have to use it in an "agile" fashion if you don't want to.  I don;t know what your speed requirements are, but for project management using JIRA work items it's pretty good.

Suggest an answer