Project admin can't change workflow scheme

I understand that editing global workflows requires JIRA admin status, but we recently pared down our jira-admin users group severely, as it was getting out of control.  So, we made specific people administrators of their individual projects, but they can't switch workflow schemes on their projects.  So, they'll click on the project settings button, select workflows, but don't see the button to switch workflows. 

Is that by design, or am I missing something?

4 answers

1 accepted

Because workflows can be shared with different projects, that's the idea.

So, workflows and other shared elements can be administer only by those who have application administration permission, not by who only have project administration permission.

Ok, thanks for the help

JIRA has 3 different "levels" of access.

• Site administration (by default members of site-admin group)
  • Application administration (by default members of administrators group)
  • Project administration (established in Permission Schemes, who ever had Project Administer permission)

Workflows, Screens, Permissions, etc. can only be updated at the second level; you can grant more people not only members of administrators group, but you can´t restrict the access by project (all who can update a workflow, could update every workflow, not just their owns)

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.  I totally get that you don't want project admins to futz with global workflows, but why can't you simply select an existing workflow for your own project?

Very similar situation here where we cleaned up and reduced our global admins.  However, as part of this reduction in rights, project admins wanted to be sure they could select the schemes for issue types, field configurations, workflows, etc.  Not CHANGE them, just select the one they want to apply to their project.  As I'm reading this answer, am I to understand that switching schemes is not something project administrators can do?

Correct.

Atlassian are moving in a slightly different direction to allow project admins more control, but project admins only have control over users, versions and components, and, if you are on 7.3 and your workflow is not shared, some edit rights over that.

Definitely disappointing as it sets us back a bit, but good to know it's heading that way in some fashion.  Appreciate the response.

You can take a look at Wittified's Delegated Project Admin Pro for JIRA which does exactly this:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.wittified.jira.delegated-admin/server/overview

Disclaimer: I work for Wittified...

Looks interesting, but we're on Atlassian Cloud which doesn't appear to allow your add-on

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

50 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot