Problems with editing the epic link of a story

Eric Hill August 31, 2016

Hey,

I'm at v. 6.4.4 of Jira.

When I need to change the epic associated with a story, I hover over the Epic Link and click the pencil icon to start editing.  Then, I start typing the first few characters of the epic I am looking for.

Problem 1: The list of epics includes every epic from every project at my entire site.  When I type the letter "e", for example, the drop-down list says "Showing 10 of 9538 matching epics".  I only have a dozen epics in my project.  Why does JIRA think I want to pick from a list of every epic on the entire site?  The default should be to just show epics from my project, with an option to include epics from a curated list of other projects, and, I suppose, if you must, all epics on the site (people really want that?).

Problem 2:  I typed the entire name of my epic "publish", and the drop-down list said "Showing 10 of 55 matching epics".  The epic I wanted was not in the first 10, and there is no way to scroll the list of suggestions so that I can see the other 45, so I was pretty much out of luck.

Please improve this functionality.

Thanks,

Eric

1 answer

0 votes
Deleted user August 31, 2016

Instead of typing the name of the EPIC, type the key. Makes things easier.

Eric Hill August 31, 2016

Hey, Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did stumble on typing in the key as a workaround, but even with that, my key matched 11 items, and you can only choose one of the first 10.  What if I need the 11th?  What happens when I grow to 20 epics?

If I could type in "MYKEY myepic" and narrow it down that way, that would be pretty close, but that doesn't work - it shows "no matches".

So, a decent workaround but not the answer.

Eric

Deleted user August 31, 2016

Eric, keys are unique so I find it hard to understand how you can get more than one match.

That said, I agree the "list" presented should scroll. If you add that request let us know - I'll vote for it!

Suggest an answer