Problem with number rounding down rather than showing decimal points

SriScrum December 2, 2015

Current system has the following code to compute the average of 5 different number. All have a default value of 0. For example:4+7+4+7+4=26 / 5 =5.2 but system shows 5. Please help how to change my code:

<!-- @@Formula: 
double val = 0;
double weight = 0; 
val = ( 
(issue.get("customfield_12900") != null ? Integer.parseInt(issue.get("customfield_12900").toString()) : 0) + 
(issue.get("customfield_12901") != null ? Integer.parseInt(issue.get("customfield_12901").toString()) : 0) +
(issue.get("customfield_12902") != null ? Integer.parseInt(issue.get("customfield_12902").toString()) : 0) +
(issue.get("customfield_12903") != null ? Integer.parseInt(issue.get("customfield_12903").toString()) : 0) +
(issue.get("customfield_12904") != null ? Integer.parseInt(issue.get("customfield_12904").toString()) : 0)
) / 5;
return val;
-->
<!-- @@Format: 
numberTool.format("#0.00",value);
-->

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2015

Foremost, this is Misc Custom Field's syntax but you marked JIRA Cloud... I don't believe that Misc Custom Fields is available in JIRA Cloud.

Second, you are using "Integer.parseInt..." Integers by design do NOT handle decimal points. Please modify your code to use a proper type instead of discarding decimals. If you'd like help with your script, please plainly state your use-case.

2 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2015

It would have been enough to divide by 5.0 instead of 5.

int / int = int

int / float = float

1 vote
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2015

Further to the comment from @Steven Behnke He is correct that the values you are retrieving are all integers hence why when you do the calculation it returns an integer. I believe although I am not an expert in the formats for Misc Custom Fields syntax that the syntax you should be using is

<!-- @@Formula: 
double val = 0;
double weight = 0; 
val = ( 
(issue.get("customfield_12900") != null ? float.parseInt(issue.get("customfield_12900").toString()) : 0) + 
(issue.get("customfield_12901") != null ? float.parseInt(issue.get("customfield_12901").toString()) : 0) +
(issue.get("customfield_12902") != null ? float.parseInt(issue.get("customfield_12902").toString()) : 0) +
(issue.get("customfield_12903") != null ? float.parseInt(issue.get("customfield_12903").toString()) : 0) +
(issue.get("customfield_12904") != null ? float.parseInt(issue.get("customfield_12904").toString()) : 0)
) / 5;
return val;
-->
<!-- @@Format: 
numberTool.format("#0.00",value);
-->

I hope this helps point you in the right direction even if the exact format of the commands is slightly out.

Phill

Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2015

Thanks Phil; It's been quite some time since I've written a calculated field with that add-on. :)

Suggest an answer