Problem with making required field for Create Issue screen

Zdenko Nagy October 19, 2016

Hello guys,

I recently started working with JIRA admin interface and to me it's a little bit overwhelming, to say at least. I encountered problem when I tried to make field required. View Field Configuration page now says the field is required, but when I create new issue, it will let me keep the field empty.

Can you please help me? Thanks in advance. smile

required_field_2.pngrequired_field_1.png

P.S. just to be perfectly clear, I have multiple custom fields of different field types which I wanted to mark as required, but none of them is reacting as expected.

P.P.S. as Atlassian has put up some peculiar restriction for users with less than 3 points, I can only answer to you @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] this way right now.

I believe I have the scheme assigned to field config. Is this it?required_field_3.png

Apart from this, we now have no workflow, so validator is not an option.

As a bonus, I have created custom Screen schemes, binded them to their respective issues and was overjoyed it worked the way I intended to. Now it's a big spaghetti monster. (I was hired as a Test lead for Christ's sake, not JIRA admin, so don't judge my lack of expertise in this field too harshly. laugh)

EDIT, once again, for @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]:

If you meant these:

required_field_4.png

required_field_5.png

then yes, it's done and assigned. If it wasn't, then I assume none of my screens would be affected. If I change visibility, it works. Only "required" is ignored.

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2016

Mahesh beat me to the first thought, but the second thing to check carefully is that the field configuration is definitely in use in the field configuration scheme for the project.  I usually completely forget to do the field configurations.

Emily Triyonis October 19, 2016

Good one. I guess my solution is only for an already created item and moving it through the workflow.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2016

Oh, it'll work, but he won't get the little red star to say "field mandatory" on create and it'll need to be done throughout the workflow too.  I think it's worth fixing the root cause though (maybe use the validator as a temporary fix if it's urgent)

Hello Nic, looks like you were right and I messed up when setting config scheme for project (or rather not setting it). When I changed default config scheme settings, it manifested alright (but on all project, which is not what I wanted). I'll have to dig around bit more, it seems, to get the right configuration.

Anyway, thanks for all your pointers. smile

2 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2016

This acts weird! Please make sure that you have only one URL custom field.

I am pretty sure I have only one URL custom field.

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2016

I believe you should contact the cloud support team now.

1 vote
Emily Triyonis October 19, 2016

Hi Zdenko-

When you go to edit your workflow, click on the transition where the field is required in order to move to the next step and add a 'validator'. Hope this helps!image2016-10-19 8:11:50.png

Richard Gergen October 19, 2016

The Validator to ensure it's not empty will work but as was pointed out in an earlier reply, you won't get the nice * next to it so the user won't KNOW it's required until they try to hit create.  The popup error you get will be self explanatory but folks tend to like that *.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2016

>as Atlassian has put up some peculiar restriction for users with less than 3 points,

Yeah, I know, but you wouldn't believe the volume of spam we had before they restricted it.

>I believe I have the scheme assigned to field config. Is this it?

That's part of it, yes.  The other two parts are:

• Does the "field configuration scheme for bugs" have "field configuration for bugs" set to be used by Bugs (either explicitly or by default)?
  • Is the "field configuration scheme for bugs" the one the project is currently set to use?

Sorry those are obvious questions, but we have to check. 

>we now have no workflow,

You can't do that in JIRA, there's always a workflow associated with a project.  May be the fixed off-the-shelf one, but there's always a workflow.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events