Preventing notifications from being sent to jira-users

Marton Szalay March 7, 2016

We recently had an issue, where the jira-users group has been made a member of the Users role in one of the projects, and having forgotten that, one of the administrators has changed the notification scheme of that project to send email to member of the Users role when a new issue is created.
This resulted in two emails being sent out to 8000+ users.
Is there a way to prevent this in the future? Since we have quite a few users, some of them are project administrators of their own projects.
Can we either prevent JIRA from sending out an excessive amount of email (let's say over 1000) triggered by one single event? Or can we prevent users from adding the jira-users group to any role in the projects? Or is there any other way we could prevent this?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2016

Maybe write a a simple script that do DB select (select all "jira-users" from roles) and scedule it. Then configure that if there is a results it sends you email. Because I believe that, if you will send email to 1000 users instead of 8000 will still be unacceptable.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2016

Inform/Educate your Project admins to do not use the 'jira-users' group, this is by far the best option I can think of and that worked for me.

0 votes
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2016

I would suggest to rename jira-users to some custom name and be carefull when granting users admin rights. Also it's good idea to send notifications only to the persons involved in issue instead of particular role.

BR,

Andris.

Marton Szalay March 7, 2016

The problem is that we have thousands of developers working on a little south of 1000 projects. That's not something that can be managed centrally. This is why we assign project administrator permissions to certain people in every project, thus they are able to assign users or groups to roles within their own projects. Also, we only provide a number of notification schemes, from which they can select the scheme they would like to use with their projects.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events