Prevent unfurling Jira issues

Richard Sinek May 17, 2019

Is there a way to suppress unfurling of issues in Slack channel. We have an active project and sometimes there is just too much information so we'd like to see the issue without all the detail....

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2019

Hey Richard,

There might be a few things that can help you out here. I'm not sure what configuration you've got currently, so I'll go over everything:

1. Switch the unfurl message style to Compact to make it smaller. You can do this in the settings for the channel (use /jira in the channel and then click the Manage Subscription link that it prints). Compact only shows the key and summary without the additional fields:
    image.png
  2. Turn off issue preview entirely if you don't want any unfurl at all. On the same channel configuration page, just uncheck the box for "Have @Integration Team automatically show previews of Jira issues when issue keys or URLs are mentioned in your channel"
    image.png
  3. Take a look at an open feature request we have for threaded replies: API-118: Post issue preview as reply in thread. Feel free to vote on that issue and watch it for updates if that's something that would be useful to you!

Cheers,
Daniel

Tomas Alvarez September 24, 2019

Hi Daniel,

I was wondering if it would be possible for a 4th option? Instead of unfurling links, just underline a jira ticket key (ABC-1) for example, as a link to the jira ticket in a browser. That would definitely be unobstrusive. Is it possible at all?

Like Abraham Brookes likes this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2019

Hi @Tomas Alvarez ,

Welcome to the Community! That's not currently possible, but I'll make sure the idea is passed along to @Trevor Thompson the product manager for the Slack integration. Thanks for the feedback!

Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
September 25, 2019

Thanks @Tomas Alvarez for the feedback. I agree that it would be great to be able to do that, but it isn't possible due to limitations of our own app and of Slack's API.

In order for us to do that today, we'd need to be able to edit your own messages, which we would prefer not to do because it requires scary permissions on your behalf :) 

Naresh G March 1, 2023

@Daniel Eads I dont find the following to uncheck on slack integration on JSM project.Can you please help?

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 6.40.07 PM.png

Suggest an answer